General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Prairie Texas

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:12 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Grand Prairie Texas

Are there any folks on the forum that are from the Grand Prairie Texas area ? I "may" be given an opportunity to travel there with the company I work for over the winter. They have a machine shop that is struggling meeting their production quota and also struggling with a new (for them) manufacturing process, and I have proposed a deal with the management and they are heavily considering taking me up on it. If it works out, I'll be in Texas for 3-4 months, and I'll pay to have my bike shipped down, so no winter storage for me ! WHOO HOO !.....maybe. Anyway, any input from you Texas folks would be great ! What's the area like ? Nice riding ? Is it a crappy place to live/work/stay ? I'd like some input before I agree to go down there.

Thanks

Old 10-16-2008, 08:38 AM
07fat_boy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a couple of friends that live and work in that area, and they all like it. Personally, I can't stand the traffic. There are a lot of cool places that aren't too far from there. The Possum Kingdom area is close enough that you can make a day trip out of it, and there's a lot of nice scenery out there to see.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 AM
BevoJoe
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grand Prairie is city living just like anywhere else. lots of concrete and strip malls. however, lots of good riding is only a short trip away. also, we can ride year round. weather doesnt' turn till late December and only lasts a month or so.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:24 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As soon as you get here, find out where south Dallas is and ride right to the area and have fun

Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 AM
07fat_boy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rocknrod
As soon as you get here, find out where south Dallas is and ride right to the area and have fun
I know that you're joking, but the OP probably has no idea so I'm going to go ahead and tell you to stay out of the South Dallas/Oak Cliff area.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:30 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yes, good point.
Sorry.
Stay out, I was just kidding.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:19 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 07fat_boy
I know that you're joking, but the OP probably has no idea so I'm going to go ahead and tell you to stay out of the South Dallas/Oak Cliff area.
Ok what's the problem ?

Old 10-16-2008, 05:29 PM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While South Dallas / Oak Cliff has a few nice areas, its mostly 'the other side of the tracks'.

GP is an ok town, but its DFW traffic, which aint biker friendly.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:47 PM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I live right next to GP, its a nice little (for the area) town, but its part of the metroplex so it IS still city. Irving isnt a bad spot either. There are some really nice little hamlets in commuting range that are nice if you dont mind the ride/drive. I DO ride all yr rain sleet or shine, snow is rare.
Weekend riding (or whatever your days off are) offer some really nice day rides, either south Tx , Southern OK, east Tx or rides out to the west. Panhandle area is kinda cool to. Texas is a HUGE state you cant help but find some nice riding if you look. Last sat I ran out to Longview for supper, 130 miles out old HWY 80, real nice ride into the edge of the piney woods. You can also explore some of the big thicket country and Louisiana.
I ride all parts of Dallas dont let stories of South Dallas worry you, like all city's there are parts of town to be a little careful in. There a conceal n carry law here if you feel the need you can pack legal.
Ya'all just come on down

Old 10-16-2008, 09:43 PM
sporty06
Road Captain

I live in Arlington, right next to Grand Prairie. There is excellent riding in Texas. Some nice twisties with 45 minutes of Grand Prairie. Grand Prairie has a better than average Harley Dealership, Longhorn HD and the Longhorn HOG Chapter has several rides a week. Come on down you and see what you think.

Quick Reply: Grand Prairie Texas