General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intermedate jet problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:42 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default intermedate jet problem

Whats the trick to removing this jet on a cv? Is mine just stuck I broke one flathead already tonight? dremeled it down used a vise grip to assist in turning it and broke the handle of the driver.
thanks for any help

Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

The CV carb has a Pilot (low) jet and a Main (high) Jet, which one are you talking about. This may sound stupid but, if you are trying to remove it with the carb on the bike then the jet is essentially upside down, and you would need to turn it clockwise to loosen it if you are looking down at the carb from above. If you are trying to remove the Main jet, it typically is removed using a wrench on the hex shoulder of the jet if I remember correctly.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

hmmm all the cv's (AKA Rice!)I have worked on have no intermediate jet. The mid range is controlled by the needle. There is a pilot and a Main jet ,the needle rides in the main jet. Both of these should come out with a correct size screwdriver. Make sure the screwdriver is of the correct size and that the tip is in good condition, as the jets are brass and can be damaged easily. If the jet will not come out easily and you have the carb stripped so as not to damage any other part you might trywarming the body around the jet with a heat gun. warm it well then let it cool. try this several times, I have had limited success with this method. I have used an impact driver to loosen stubborn ones but this method is very east to damage the housing.
I also have had good luck with this, you can set a screw gun bit of the correct size into the jet and place the carb in a vice LOOSLY! vice jaw,carb,screw bit, other vice jaw,)(to hold the bit into the jet then clamp vice grips to the bit and try turning it out. The vice will limit the bit from turning out of the jet. Be very careful with any of these methods as the carb and jets are of soft metal.Good Luck

Old 11-02-2008, 08:36 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

its the low jet its just stuck. I was thinking heat gun. Rejetted the twin cam without problems. except nobody seems to have a dj195.