General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool WWII Bomber names?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM
GhostBagger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Al,

Not pin-up nose art, but the P51D Mustang named "HOO FLUNG DUNG" always made me laugh.

GhostBagger.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:17 PM
P47
Tourer

My Dad flew P-47 Thunderbolts in WWII. The nose art from his plane, "Arizona Loraine", has been featured in several Nose Art books. Also, a company recently came out with decals for it in 48th & 72nd scale. The nose art wouldn't work for you, unless you were from Arizona and your wife's name was Loraine. My favorite name has always been "Big Stud", which would really fit a Harley. This plane was flown by Bob Baseler and was on display at the Champlin Fighter Museum in Mesa, Arizona until it was moved to the Museum of Flight in Seattle in 2000. You can google the name. If you are bored, google Arizona Loraine too.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:47 PM
spooner
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's mine.

Name:  IMGP0886.jpg
Views: 3368
Size:  169.3 KB

Old 11-20-2008, 06:47 AM
NightsterAl
Cruiser

"HOO FLUNG DUNG"
Hahaha... thats a good one.

spooner, that pinup looks great! Is that paint or vinyl? I work for a vinyl company, but I'm not 100% convinced vinyl wont just look like a sticker.
I have been contemplating on putting her on my oil bag or my gas tank. I'm leaning toward my gas tank. Hell, I might even do both.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:01 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad was a waist gunner on a B-17 and flew 25 missions over Germany and is a member of the Lucky Bastards Club his planes name was the Bouncing Bitch III he was in the 94th bomb group 333rd squadron

Old 11-20-2008, 04:19 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My cousins wife's father was the pilot on a B17 , his name was Carter , and the ac was "Carter and his little pills" .. 41-24588 ..

I did a lot of research on them , they were shot down 08Mar43 on final approach to England at 7500 feet , ten miles off the coast ..

Entire crew was lost ..

Talked to the son of the co pilot who didnt make the flight , as well as the nephew of the ME109 pilot who shot them down ..

They were 305BG 364SQ out of Chelveston , were originally at Grafton Underwood ..

Contrary to pop culture , the nose art was done for "photo ops" to send back home .. Then it was removed, they did not fly missions with nose art ..

Those guys went thru hell ...

Last edited by JacktheBagger; 11-20-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:22 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My dad was in the 460th bomb group (known as the Black Panthers), 763rd squadron. In the picture I posted earlier you can see the panther insignia on the nose of the plane.

You are right in that those guys went through hell. My dad's crew was made up of reminants of two crews that had previosly been shot down. Twice my dad had to crash land his plane in the field adjancent the airfield, one of those times the plane was burning in the middle with half the crew in the cockpit and the rest trying to share ther space with the tailgunner.

Its a funny story about the pinup girl on his plane. My dad's sister had sent him a couple pinup pictures while he was overseas of a friend of hers. These girls had gone down and had one made in a revealing outfit (I have seen this one) and one in the buff (which my sister says she found one day snooping in mom and dad's room). After the war my dad came home and wanted to know who this girl was he had pictures of. Three weeks later my dad married his pinup girl. I was in my 40's before I started finding out how wild my mom was in her youth.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:50 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

460BG was first operational unit of 55th wing of 15th AF HQ in Spinnazola Italy ..

First mission was flown 19Mar44

Old 11-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by swestbrook60
My dad was in the 460th bomb group (known as the Black Panthers), 763rd squadron. In the picture I posted earlier you can see the panther insignia on the nose of the plane.

You are right in that those guys went through hell. My dad's crew was made up of reminants of two crews that had previosly been shot down. Twice my dad had to crash land his plane in the field adjancent the airfield, one of those times the plane was burning in the middle with half the crew in the cockpit and the rest trying to share ther space with the tailgunner.

Its a funny story about the pinup girl on his plane. My dad's sister had sent him a couple pinup pictures while he was overseas of a friend of hers. These girls had gone down and had one made in a revealing outfit (I have seen this one) and one in the buff (which my sister says she found one day snooping in mom and dad's room). After the war my dad came home and wanted to know who this girl was he had pictures of. Three weeks later my dad married his pinup girl. I was in my 40's before I started finding out how wild my mom was in her youth.
GREAT story. BUT it was MOM!!!! Like they just could NOT be capable of such indiscretions.

There are some scoots runnin' round, with just fantastic 'nose art' on them.

A few years back, Kokesh (a local indy shop known for there 'old' school shop) built a dandy looking shovel for a guy. It was painted to look like aluminum body panels of an aircraft. Rivets and all. I saw it featured in Hot Bike, American Iron, or one of those other mags.
Good luck on your 'selection' process. Post pics.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:18 PM
spooner
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Vinyl, been on about 2 years.

Quick Reply: Cool WWII Bomber names?