General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying from a dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:40 PM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying from a dealership

I've never owned a new Harley because I couldn't afford one. Both of my bikes were used garage queens, owned and well cared for by people who put a few thousand miles on, spent a lot on customizations and then moved on.

I stopped in the dealership and know they're having a harder time moving bikes, but when I talked to the salesman he said that if I traded my bike in "the market is soft and he would give me a fair price, but it wouldn't be what it was six months or a year ago". In the same breath he said that bikes are moving and that they didn't need to go much below sticker to sell them. I'd like a new bike and thought t might be a good time to buy. Am I getting:

1) A sales guy that thinks I'm too stupid to deal with.
2) The real story because it's Orange County and people still can't find enough to do with their money even though their house is in foreclosure.
3) Its the normal way a negotiation works all the time.

By the way, I really like the new V-Rod, they had two on the floor - maybe they're really moving? I don't see that many on the streets.

Would I do better to have one of my real-biker friends come with me, I'm maybe just not that imposing.....

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

Old 11-20-2008, 06:52 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I look at like if you have the money to buy what you want then do it...check the book value of your current bike, and if the trade is close and you're lucky enough to get below msrp on the new bike...sounds like a deal... may help to have someone with you, but sounds like you can handle the salesman on your own... :-)

Old 11-20-2008, 06:54 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

Lisa,

You're just getting started. He's stroking you. The market new and used is soft. You will do better selling your bike privately over trading it. As far as the new bike, shop around and see who's dealing. Around here (NM) V-rods are not the hottest movers, but they do have a following. I suspect there is probably more bargaining room on a V-rod than on a Streetglide or the like.

Keep looking and keep working it to get the deal you want.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:58 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not just do what you've been doing, and get a garage queen vrod.

if you're not in a hurry you should be able to get one at a decent price.

how long have you had your current bike?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:10 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is the normal way a negotiation works. You need to know what the trade in value is of your current bike and what the MRSP is of the HD bike you are interested in.
You can go to the HD site and find out the MRSP of all the new models.
When you go to the dealership make sure they get your name and phone number. You should be able to get, at the very least, $1,000 off MRSP and trade in value for your old bike.
Tell them you also want the 1,000 mile service done for free and a discount on accessories for the next so many months.
I would start with offering them $2,000 off MRSP. You are in the driver's seat. They need to sell a lot more then you need to buy. When you find the bike you want, go home and get your figures together. When you go back make your offer. From that point on let them do all the talking. It drives most sales people nuts when you just sit there with no expression on your face. They will end up doing all the talking and you will get your best deal that way. There is a saying in negotiations "He who talks first loses". Don't hesitate to walk out. Don't act mad just leave. Make sure they have your phone number.
Tom

Old 11-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swifty lives off a commission, and like any car salesman, he will jack you around to get as much as he can.

But since I just got an E-mail about their Capo Store closing, run that by him, and let him know that if the price is right, you'll help him to unload some of his overstocked inventory!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Rebel Jon
Intermediate

Another good line that I used is that you don't NEED the bike you only WANT it.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:21 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
It is the normal way a negotiation works. You need to know what the trade in value is of your current bike and what the MRSP is of the HD bike you are interested in.
You can go to the HD site and find out the MRSP of all the new models.
When you go to the dealership make sure they get your name and phone number. You should be able to get, at the very least, $1,000 off MRSP and trade in value for your old bike.
Tell them you also want the 1,000 mile service done for free and a discount on accessories for the next so many months.
I would start with offering them $2,000 off MRSP. You are in the driver's seat. They need to sell a lot more then you need to buy. When you find the bike you want, go home and get your figures together. When you go back make your offer. From that point on let them do all the talking. It drives most sales people nuts when you just sit there with no expression on your face. They will end up doing all the talking and you will get your best deal that way. There is a saying in negotiations "He who talks first loses". Don't hesitate to walk out. Don't act mad just leave. Make sure they have your phone number.
Tom
exactly

Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to be willing to walk, sales people can sniff emotions, and then they will stick to the top line and won't wanna move!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:39 PM
llbandit
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyGirl76
I've never owned a new Harley because I couldn't afford one. Both of my bikes were used garage queens, owned and well cared for by people who put a few thousand miles on, spent a lot on customizations and then moved on.

I stopped in the dealership and know they're having a harder time moving bikes, but when I talked to the salesman he said that if I traded my bike in "the market is soft and he would give me a fair price, but it wouldn't be what it was six months or a year ago". In the same breath he said that bikes are moving and that they didn't need to go much below sticker to sell them. I'd like a new bike and thought t might be a good time to buy. Am I getting:

1) A sales guy that thinks I'm too stupid to deal with.
2) The real story because it's Orange County and people still can't find enough to do with their money even though their house is in foreclosure.
3) Its the normal way a negotiation works all the time.

By the way, I really like the new V-Rod, they had two on the floor - maybe they're really moving? I don't see that many on the streets.

Would I do better to have one of my real-biker friends come with me, I'm maybe just not that imposing.....

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

#1- Yes
#2- Yes
#3- Yes

I live and work in the Dallas,Texas area, and I have never even seen a v-rod up close and personal (only on the dealership floor). May be 'cause they look more like a 'crotch rocket' than a 'Harley' on the tollway? I don't know why, but I honestly have never noticed one on any of the roads around here.
Get what 'you' like and ride safe.
John

Quick Reply: Buying from a dealership