General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:35 PM
BIK88CHK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accident

If you are riding with a group of people on a busy interstate and your lead bike goes down - does anyone know the proper procedures to take.
  • Do you stop behind them and try to devert traffic?
  • Do you go to the side of the road and come back and try to devert traffic?
I was watching on U-Tube last night - accidents in general on bikes and it seems that everyone seems to do something different. I am talking about a 3-4-5 lane interstate with heavy traffic. Anyone know the proper procedures?

Old 01-09-2009, 12:48 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my motto would be never leave a fallen brother or sister in the middle of the road,right or wrong, I would stop behind them and divert traffic

Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this a test? You gonna give us the answer?

I know what I would do but don't know if it right.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:53 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try to park my bike sideways in the lane (for maximum visibility) about 50 yards before the accident. Call 911 immediately, and do every thing I could to render assistance.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:59 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't know what the proper procedure should be, but i was hit a second time after the first impact because nobody stopped to divert traffic.

i was riding by myself at the time, but there were witnesses who pulled over and made no attempt to divert....

i would pull over immediately. no hesitation.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

+1 TomHummer

stop and divert traffic.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way it is taught in BC for first aid attendents or paramedics is to ensure no danger to yourself and then the patient. As a paramedic I came onto a scene where a lady was struck down by a vehicle, cars stopped at the scene. A first aid attendent approached and started cpr, a semi approaching the scene drove around the parked cars and took out the first aid attendent also.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, the thought of such a thing happening on the NJ turnpike sends chills up my spine. You just know if you go down on a road like that you're going to be shredded by a dozen cars and trucks.

First thing to do in the event of an accident is to prevent another one. Flares or whatever it takes to alert oncoming cars and move them over to a different lane.

Immediate goal is to prevent cars from running over your buddies. I'd probably stop my bike before the accident and put the four ways on and get away from it. Scary stuff but it's better the bike get hit than me out there waving my hands around. Once a few cars get stopped you may be able to move your bike off the road.

Each situation is different and you have to think and act fast. Going back to roads like the turnpike, I think in almost every case I would be looking at getting everything off the road and onto the berm asap.

Great question btw.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 PM
retiznapuerco
Tourer

Divert traffic, call the Police/Ambulance, or get someone to do it, and never, never remove a helmet on the victim ,if one is being used, as you could cause more damage to the neck/head area...

Old 01-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Pappy 05 Heritage
Tourer

Originally Posted by tomhummer
my motto would be never leave a fallen brother or sister in the middle of the road,right or wrong, I would stop behind them and divert traffic
Totally agree

Quick Reply: Accident