General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where did the oil go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:00 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark, it has to have an oil tank, is dry sump.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:07 PM
CrashX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually yeah, it does have a separate oil tank. All the big twins do.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Moonrider
Road Master

Originally Posted by MarkM
It's a dyna, so no separate oil tank. It's a mystery to me, but I guess I'll find out this week.
The oil tank , allthough bolted to the trans and engine, is a dry sump system. Sorta separtate. Sounds like stated above your oil is in the crankcase and some in the tank. One reason(hopefully) it stalled and would't start is that the crankcase is full and the pistons cannot compress all that oil. But sounds like the tensioners failed and took out the oil pump.

Good luck,
Dave

Old 01-10-2009, 07:15 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonrider
The oil tank , allthough bolted to the trans and engine, is a dry sump system. Sorta separtate. Sounds like stated above your oil is in the crankcase and some in the tank. One reason(hopefully) it stalled and would't start is that the crankcase is full and the pistons cannot compress all that oil. But sounds like the tensioners failed and took out the oil pump.

Good luck,
Dave
Since it was'nt going out th exhaust, that has to be the most logical expanation as to where the oil is. If it did'nt go out, it still has to be in there.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Scavange g- rotor probably blew apart and the sump is full of oil. Take the drain out and see how much oil comes out. Do a crank runout while you are in the cam chest to find the cause.
Ron

Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Pop Pop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cam Tensionsers could distroy part of the oil pump, the scavenger pump. Oil stays in the engine and empties the tank.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:51 AM
MarkM
Tourer

Thanks for all the info, guys. Looks like you've pretty much confirmed my suspicions about the cam chain tensioners. They will give me the prognosis later this week, and I'll let you know how good of a predicition you've all made.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:58 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

Dang, you guys scared me enough to go check my Sporty's service manual to be sure I didn't have cam tensioners. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like I have gear driven cams. ('08 XL883C)

I wasn't too thrilled when I found there was a plastic shoe on the primary chain tensioner, but at least that isn't too hard to change out.

What models have the cam tensioners?

What bonehead engineer put a wear item where it couldn't be easily inspected? Is the MoCo eating the cost of these repairs? This looks like a recall item or a pending class action lawsuit!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by rbabos
Scavange g- rotor probably blew apart and the sump is full of oil.
Ron
Yep, I think this is the most likely explanation.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:24 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by mbwannabe1
Dang, you guys scared me enough to go check my Sporty's service manual to be sure I didn't have cam tensioners. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like I have gear driven cams. ('08 XL883C)

I wasn't too thrilled when I found there was a plastic shoe on the primary chain tensioner, but at least that isn't too hard to change out.

What models have the cam tensioners?

What bonehead engineer put a wear item where it couldn't be easily inspected? Is the MoCo eating the cost of these repairs? This looks like a recall item or a pending class action lawsuit!
Cam tensioners = Twinkie Big Twin motors, aka Twin Cam engine

That primary chain plastic tensioner has been around for longer than many on this board have been alive. It wears, but anything even remotely close to a normal maintenance routine will notice when replacement time is at hand.

Quick Reply: Where did the oil go?