General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does my ideal Harley exist?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you should look for a Buell ulysses. Not a vrod motor, but about as close as to your description as you can get.

http://www.pashnit.com/bikes/BuellUlysses.htm

Old 01-11-2009, 06:27 AM
05Fatty
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IlDuce
the Vrod street rod has Mid controls, You can get add on bags, heating grips, has a cool gauge set..
Exactly what I was thinking!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:32 AM
05Fatty
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IlDuce
I believe some have abs. gas tank i believe is 5 gallon tank and Fuel mileage says 42 hwy / 34 city
You are correct. The night rod can be had with ABS and all new rods have the 5 gallon tank. I can get just as many miles out of a tank on the rod as the ultra (if I take it easy on the throttle ).

Old 01-11-2009, 07:01 AM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murd
Thoughts become things.
things also become after thoughts

Old 01-11-2009, 07:06 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are so inclined you can build anything you want.In the end it would save you thousands of dollars.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Biped
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tailbreaker
I think you should look for a Buell ulysses. Not a vrod motor, but about as close as to your description as you can get.

http://www.pashnit.com/bikes/BuellUlysses.htm
That's true. I think Eric Buell is at the head of the class in motorcycle innovation. I've looked at them. The only one I really felt comfortable sitting on was called the "Lightning Long". It has a longer wheelbase than the other models. I'm tall, and I felt cramped on the others. But, as I mentioned in another thread, ABS is a must-have for me. I know opinion differs, but my mind is closed tight on this subject.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:38 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 462 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Biped
I've never owned one, but they can't be ignored, which is why I joined this forum. As a naked bike fan, er, I mean a fan of naked bikes (formerly called standard bikes), here's my ideal HD: V-Rod engine, mid controls, ABS with linked brakes, belt drive, windscreen (no fairing), hard cases, good gauges, heated grips and seat, 200 mile range, reasonably light weight. Good for city, touring, and twisties. Does it exist?

Not likely, available on any dealers floor.... but therein lies the "charm" of a Harley... near endless posibilities, from the MOCO, or from the aftermarket. a 200 mile range on a VROD engine, might be the only difficult thing, as you need a bigger gas tank than (I believe) they come with.

Beyond that... your only limits are your funds, and your imagination

Old 01-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailbreaker
Great site. I like the Road Trip Pictures forums.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:22 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 264 Posts

The Night Rod does come closest to what you're after; I had my ideal Harley built and it ain't cheap but I didn't pick HD because they were cheap.

Rode a BMW R1200RT for a week in Italy; that will be my choice on fly n' ride trips from now on; power assisted linked ABS, light weight and adequate performance two-up. The V-Rod platform isn't really a 2-up and the FLH's are too heavy and slow for me.

Whatever a person gets there sees to be compromises based on money and how many things you want the bike to do.....

Old 01-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Biped
Advanced

Originally Posted by sharkey
The Night Rod does come closest to what you're after; I had my ideal Harley built and it ain't cheap but I didn't pick HD because they were cheap.

Rode a BMW R1200RT for a week in Italy; that will be my choice on fly n' ride trips from now on; power assisted linked ABS, light weight and adequate performance two-up. The V-Rod platform isn't really a 2-up and the FLH's are too heavy and slow for me.

Whatever a person gets there sees to be compromises based on money and how many things you want the bike to do.....
It looks like the V-Rod "Muscle" could also be called the "Day Rod" -- it looks just like the Night Rod, but with brighter paint and chrome. A fine looking bike. In the big photo of the Day Rod, er, Muscle, on HD's website it looks like there are two bolt holes on the bottom frame rail a couple of inches apart, mid way back. For mounting mid controls, maybe?

I rode an R1200RT and liked it, but I never ride two-up and don't care for all the "tupperware", as the BMW crowd calls the fairings. I also hated the mirrors, which I thought were badly located.