General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather gloves

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:07 PM
brokebolt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Cold weather gloves

I recently switched to Neoprene gloves for cold weather riding. Way better than the leather and polar tech gloves I used to use. They are pre-bent so they naturally rap around the bars and make clutch and brake work much easer. No slip palm, with gauntlet style too boot. They also have a nice soft fleece liner (not removable). They actually feel better on my hands and give a feeling like I have more control on the bike, as the polar tech glove's insulation would "swim" between the shell and the liner, not the case with a one piece design. Similar to a SCUBA dive glove but made for cold weather, water proof too. I bought mine at Big Five sporting goods. Cheers.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:26 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh great. A cold weather glove report from California. Just what we need.

Just kidding. That sounds like a great idea. I've been using snowmobile gloves which work well too.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Gloves

How 'bout a brand name so we can try to find them elsewhere, no "Big Fives" around here.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If they ain't heated they ain't no good

Old 01-13-2009, 02:30 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
If they ain't heated they ain't no good
Puzzy.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Not much of a need here in Florida!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:45 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure could use some in this part of FL

Trending Topics

Old 01-13-2009, 02:56 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Low_Wider
How 'bout a brand name so we can try to find them elsewhere, no "Big Fives" around here.
Joes Gloves

Old 01-13-2009, 03:28 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JBaker421
Puzzy.
You bet!! I even have the heated insoles !! When it's cold I don't go far from my bike,I like to stay plugged in!!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 AM
brokebolt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Glacier Glove

Originally Posted by JBaker421
Oh great. A cold weather glove report from California. Just what we need.

Just kidding. That sounds like a great idea. I've been using snowmobile gloves which work well too.
It's not a dry cold. I grew up in Idaho and have never been as cold as I am here in the Northern California Delta in the winter. It is a damp, penetrating cold, mid 30's at night. I know it isn't -40 F. with 30% humidity but still cold. Good news is at 90-100% humidity and 30-40 F. their is no static electricity problems. Although riding in the fog is like riding though sprinklers. We get that thick fog out my way.

So. Cal. is where it's at for great year round warm weather. Gotta love the 'Inland Empire' for a healthy dose of medicine in the midst of "suicide season". Although I have been in Pomona at the drags when it was in the 40's and raining...that sucked for many reasons.

Brand name of my new gloves are "Glacier Glove" type 812BK. Go here:

http://www.glacieroutdoor.com/products_fishing.php

I looked at 823BK but thought the inserts at the knuckles they put in for a more flexie finger would be bad if they contacted the asphalt (that would never be good with any glove). They list them as $25.00 here but I paid way less. Mine where totally cheap, like $15.00 plus tax. A friend has a pair of very, very thin neoprene gloves that he bought at a snowboard shop for like $40.00 and uses for winter play in the Tahoe area, so riding a bike should be fine for us "California" boys (and girls). Mine are thick like a pair I use for SCUBA diving in the Pacific Ocean. You might check out a local sporting good store, dive shop, snowboard and skate shop or even on-line at Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

$17.00 for the above. Big Five had a pair like this for $12.00 or so and the outside was coated with rubber and ribbed. I thought that the rubber would peel off and cuase problems. Also they don't have a relief at the gauntlet cuff so that might be an issue with jackets and the like. And another set of gloves that looked nice:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0065279960539a

$30.00 for the above.

I also have a pair of Outdoor Research (a.k.a. OR) Polartec Fleece with Windstopper Gore-Tex but I fell the level of protection from asphalt would be a risk. Snow mobile gloves should work awesome I would think, after all it is a motorized toy between your legs...right?! Hadn't thought of looking at that; for some reason the obvious eluded me. I thought about a ski glove but I felt they had no protection from asphalt. I really was trying to avoid going with a heated glove, for those that use them great. I am a bit old school I guess. My brother is talking about a heated glove...I'll keep you posted if that pans out. The important thing is keeping the bike out of the barn and on the road...even in mid January. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Cold weather gloves