General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Travel pack any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:32 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey bdr...go to an outfitters shop and pick up a weather-proof stuff sack. They come in all kinds of sizes. I have one that is probably 14 inches in diameter and maybe 20-22 inches long. I can get a rolled up backpackers air mattress, a down sleepin bag, a campers pad, and a camp pillow in there with no prob...and I think mine cost me less than forty bucks.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Jambon1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One word...........

T-Bags!!!!

That may count as 2 words.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 PM
RideDglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever you go with, recommend mounting it to your bike before you buy. Used to have a T-Bag, great product, fit my Heritage perfect. However, it did not fit on my Glides touring sissy bar and back rest. Made it work for 1 trip with extra straps, but it was shaky.
Looked at going with another T-Bag, but shopped around because they are spendy. Ended up going with a Tourmaster from Cycle Gear. Had a 20% coupon from a mailer and we have a couple shops in town so I was able to fit test. Came in around $120 w/change, less than half of equivalent T-Bag.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...m=HEL_82-312_G

Attached Thumbnails Travel pack any ideas?-tourmaster-20sissy-20bar-20bag_310x310.jpg  
Old 01-27-2009, 06:17 PM
HDUltraRider
Banned

Originally Posted by 99_percenter
I have the Nelson Rigg GWS 500 and love it.

Google Nelson-Rigg CTB-350 Day Runner

Also search for Nelson-Rigg MOTORCYCLE RIGGPAKS

here's just a quick pic of the ctb 350

http://www.motorhelmets.com/htm-lugg...day-runner.htm

99%r

If you are interested in the Nelson-Rigg bags PM me and I will get you a price I carry the full line.

Here is their webpage.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/

Old 01-27-2009, 08:36 PM
bdr
Cruiser
Wink

Originally Posted by steveh326
I like to keep it simple... for many years I have been using a $15 nylon duffle bag I got at Sonny's Surplus. Bungee it on the seat or luggage rack... if calling for bad weather I put a black plastic garbage bag over it. works great and cheap. layer a couple cargo nets over it and I can strap anything else on there like jacket, helmet, etc. that I might shed during a ride.

it worked so well I went back and got a smaller size for overnighters and such...

I have no need to go spend hundreds on luggage...
Hey Steve,
I had to laugh when I read your post as I have atleast 4 back packs, we hike allot out here and I did Boy Scouts for 12 years so I have lot's of extra gear... I will have to rig one up and see how it looks and feels.... Keep it simple and low cost, I hear ya brother....
Thanks,
BDR

Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 PM
hogginit
Road Captain

Two years ago, when tthe wife and I were planning our ride to the West coast, we needed a large bag for the back of my road king. Could not locate any that I wanted that were in stock no matter who I contacted. Got Kuyakin to tell me who made this specific bags. I then called the manufacture who told me to hang on while he looked in the basement. He actually came up with what I needed and overnighted them to me with no shipping to Canada and charged about 25% less than vendors retail. Great guy, he even included an extra rain cover and clip-on pack. Bag is almost identical to our T bag my wife uses.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:49 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,688 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by hogginit
Two years ago, when tthe wife and I were planning our ride to the West coast, we needed a large bag for the back of my road king. Could not locate any that I wanted that were in stock no matter who I contacted. Got Kuyakin to tell me who made this specific bags. I then called the manufacture who told me to hang on while he looked in the basement. He actually came up with what I needed and overnighted them to me with no shipping to Canada and charged about 25% less than vendors retail. Great guy, he even included an extra rain cover and clip-on pack. Bag is almost identical to our T bag my wife uses.
Names, we need names

Old 01-27-2009, 11:48 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
TBags hands down. Check out ebay for a better price.
No kidding about eBay...Last night, I picked up 2 T-Bags - Route 66 + net & the Roll Bag - NEW in box, for $200 each set(+$25 shipping/ea)!!! They only had 2 of them, and I needed 2. I got REAL lucky to happen upon that 3 day listing. I was planning on paying about $500 for the 2 bags after a $50 off coupon at Motorcycle Superstore...with the Roll Bags (which I wasn't planning on getting), it would've added another $240.

Anyway, I'm so psyched about finding this deal, I just had to brag! Bottom line, if you are patient, you can save some yourself some money.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:57 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by steveh326
I like to keep it simple... for many years I have been using a $15 nylon duffle bag I got at Sonny's Surplus. Bungee it on the seat or luggage rack... if calling for bad weather I put a black plastic garbage bag over it. works great and cheap. layer a couple cargo nets over it and I can strap anything else on there like jacket, helmet, etc. that I might shed during a ride.

it worked so well I went back and got a smaller size for overnighters and such...

I have no need to go spend hundreds on luggage...
Uhhh Huhh...from the looks of that sweet Glide of yours...chrome front end, your wheels & all that bling...it's a good thing you're saving so much on that luggage! Hey, gotta start being frugal somewhere, right?!
Just pokin' fun at ya...

Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

I just lace my external frame backpack onto the sissy bar. When 1-up, I let it sit on the pillion with the sleeping bag and pad on the bottom. When I get to the campsite, I just unstrap the pack frame from the sissy bar and move the whole package.

Already had the backpack from my scouting days. Can put the extra hundred into more shiny things than T-bags.

Quick Reply: Travel pack any ideas?