General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did i do wrong.?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 05:50 AM
streetbobjim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did i do wrong.?

Yesterday I was riding my street bob down the road when an old gentleman pulled out of a side road right in front of me. I braked and tried to steer left round him as he was side on to me. As I did this, the back wheel locked and the bike rear started to slide to the right broadside on. As this happened, I steered right to try to straighten the bike up. I managed to do that and I then let off the rear brake and the wheel rolled again and i was in a straight line rolling. I just managed to miss the car in front as i got in behind him as he moved across me.. My question: Did I do Right? Did I do wrong? Was my front brake not on hard enough?It was quite a scarey moment . Im not really an experienced enough rider to know if what I did was helpful or not. Can anyone offer advice as to what to do if/ when this situation happens again. Maybe Iwas lucky this time, maybe not so next time[:-]

Old 04-17-2006, 07:39 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: did i do wrong.?

First question is how fast where you going? did you apply front break? Did you down shift? How about that pesky Horn? The front break provides the most stopping power, along with down shifting, if you whent going too fast you should have had no problem stopping or getting around the old gezzer. Practice also keep your eyes scanning all the road up ahead and scan the mirrors too. Yes sounds like alot to do but you will get used to it. Have you taken the MSF course? Would highly recommend it. Just my .02 worth

Old 04-17-2006, 07:52 AM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Took MSF last week, from what i learned you can't mix braking or turning, you have either just stopped in a straight line or swerved without using the brakes or brake quickly let off them swerve. I highly recommed taking thr MSF course.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing the MSF course discusses is what to do if you lock your rear brake...

The problem with a locked rear brake is obviously the tire skid. The rear of the bike will tend to skid to one side or the other, especially since you will most likely have some front brake applied also. The instinctive reaction is to release the rear brake to get the tire rolling again. This will work if the bike is still perfectly straight, however it will give you troubles if you have already skidded the rear of the bike somewhat sideways.

As you release the rear brake on a sideways skidding rear tire and it begins to roll, the bike will try to snap straight again. At higher speeds this "snap" may be enough to eject the rider or cause you to depart from controlled riding (go down). Either way, not a good thing.

Because of this, the MSF course recommends not releasing a rear skidding tire. However, if you lock up your front tire, slowly release brake pressure to get it rolling again and then reapply the front brake.

Although you can't stop morons from pulling out in front of you, my technique to judge their intentions are to watch their eyes and the roll of their front tire. I can usually get an idea if they are itching to pull out and slow accordingly to prepare for evasive actions.

Edmo

Old 04-17-2006, 08:17 AM
BikerInTheDesert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

davidc nailed it. Can't swerve and brake at the same time. One and then the other. Which you do first depends on the situation. If you've got time to bleed off speed before you swerve, no issues, just remember to be off both brakes before you start the swerve. Your effective braking ratio is said to be 70% front 30% rear, so factor that in as well. In the end, glad to hear you avoided the disaster, and asking questions afterward is a good mindset. I too recommend the MSF course, it'll give you a chance to practice some of this stuff on a smaller bike...and one you don't own!

Enjoy the ride.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:34 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would also recommed the DVD "Ride Like a Pro IV". Jerry covers this exact situation pretty well. Let them know you are from the HD Forum and they will give you free shipping. http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Old 04-17-2006, 10:07 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

Regardless of what the MSF teaches an experianced rider can absulutly brake and turn locking up the rear is another story. The rear tire is only I believe 30% of your stopping power and the other 70% is your front brake. Unless you have some crazy after market calibers in the front you can squeez them all the way without fear of going over. The rear brake in my opinion is just to help level the bike off during brakeing.

JUST MY .02\

steve

Old 04-17-2006, 10:08 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

You got through it ok and picked up some experience to. You have to be constantly aware of whats going on around you and you can't expect the other guy do the right thing. Reading my ABATE newsletter about the deaths in Daytona, many were caused by someone pulling out in front of them. Being human (an in my case, elderly <52&gt I'm just not as sharp as I used to be. Yesterday, coming around a nice bend in the road, enjoying the scenery (lapsing) an old fella coming the other way crossed over the center line in an old, ill handling piece of crap. I was hugging the centerline myself. I didn't notice until he was almost on me. It happened too quick to react but, obviously, I'm here to tell the tale.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:33 AM
MOking
Tourer

Take the MSF Expert course if it is offered in your area. I took mine on a rainy, crappy day and learned a ton. The instructors said they could cancel it, but they felt the weather was as real world riding and great to practice in.

Everyone of the riders in my course locked the rear wheel several times throughout the day. The wet pavement was indeed great to take the lessons on.

Our instructors said repeatedly if you lock the rear wheel, keep it locked. When you begin to slide with it locked, releasing the wheel while sideways will cause the bike the High Side. Instead of the bike continueing to slide and go down on one side, a High Side will cause the bike to flip over- potentially on the rider. Even if the rider is thrown clear, the bike will tumble and probably be totalled.

The MSF course is set up with obstacles (cones) and swerve/brake scenarios. It is cheap to take. It only takes a day or two. It can help save you life.

I recomend it to everyone and from what I have heard, it is better than the riders edge from Harley.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I echo what was said above.

WHen I ride, and am cmoing up on any type of interesection, inlcluding a driveway where someone has pullled to the edge of the road, I always make EYE CONTACT with the cager.

Eye contact tells me more about what they are about to do than anything. If I cant see their eyes, I start slowing down.

Defensive driving is the key. 90% of cagers dont care until its too late and then its ............too late.

Quick Reply: did i do wrong.?