General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda chopper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 AM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Fury is a decent looking ride. It doesn't look any worse than many of the cookie-cutter HD knock-offs on the road already. Stretched tank, softtail style frame, etc... You could build this bike out of the JP Cycle catalog except for the power plant.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM
MidwestRider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks ok but no other bike compares to the HD IMO. I own an Acura RSX supercharged with a lot of goodies on it but I know a real MC and that is why I ride HD.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:07 AM
psyco1
Road Master

Originally Posted by tomhummer
as I said on the last thread...an attempt is not always a success...this is not a successful attempt or a harley
Yup, and Harley shouldn't have attempted to copy the Vmax with the VRod either, look at the sales numbers.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 AM
rprpclark
Cruiser

Originally Posted by psyco1
Yup, and Harley shouldn't have attempted to copy the Vmax with the VRod either, look at the sales numbers.
Just think if Yamaha had updated the VMax even once on 20ish years with fuel injection or whatever and maybe eliminated the silly looking fake scoops.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 AM
psyco1
Road Master

I think the scoops were part of the mystique of the bike, it screamed power. Yea, it probably could have used FI, but Yam only really got that decent a few years ago and they were probably already working on the butt ugly new one.
I guess the moral is, copies by any maker usually aren't as good(as subjective as that is) as the original by another one.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Ultra110
Road Captain

Wow It's gonna be a long winter..........

Old 02-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Nomad X
Road Warrior

Back in the late 60's - 70's,lots of 750 fours (Honda) were made into choppers . Not from the factory,just some FYI.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

Doesn't matter what you ride, someone won't like it......someone is looking at my Road King and saying "Damn ugly bags", or they're looking at a sportie saying "That's a girls bike", or "a Heritage is the Buick of motorcycles", etc, etc. It's just a bike......if you like it, buy it........if don't, buy something else.

Last edited by Sam; 02-04-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:16 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by tomhummer
this is not a harley
Right, it's a Honda. That means it is probably more reliable then a Harley. Plus it has liquid cooling and shaft drive. This reminds me of when the CB750 was first introduced. Some people were really aghast because it had 4 cylinders and a disk brake. The 4 cylinders just meant there were more moving parts to break. And anybody that knew how to ride didn't need a disk brake, a drum brake was good enough.

Harley may have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the new century. But technology advances. A few years ago, the thought of rubber mounting a Harley engine was considered blasphemy. And who would have thought that EFI would take the place of carbs?

I just don't understand why some people get so incensed about this. If you don't want to buy one, don't. But another bike out there, successful or not, can't help but inprove the products of everybody else. Competition and innovation are good for everybody. In some ways they look similar, but today's Harleys are not the same as those from decades ago.

Would anybody really like to trade their current model for one with 1950 technology?

Ron

Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 AM
The Reg
Intermediate

'Technology' is one thing ----'Fugly' is another!

Quick Reply: Honda chopper?