General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loading a bike into a pickup truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:01 PM
NewHarleyGear
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
What's wrong with backing up to a slope, bank or in a ditch and loading the bike with a piece of 2 x 12 with one of those fancy 20 buck ramp ends bolted on it? It's been working for a couple of decades for me.
I do the same identical thing.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:29 PM
martyandpeg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, a few clarifications. Our "home" is a 40' diesel motorcoach and we pull the truck behind us. The bike rides in the truck. Hence, a trailer is not an option. Right after I bought the bike, we sold the car we towed and bought the truck. The next purchase were 36" x 100" ramps from Discount Ramps. Not cheap, either; they were about $400. We travel quite abit; this is not like every once in a great while I need to load the bike and take it down to the shop. Once we leave FL (where we spend the winter) we will be heading west to the Dakotas and Montana. Over the next few months I can honestly say that the bike will be loaded and unloaded no less than 20 times. For the last 18 months I've loaded/unloaded the bike by using ramps, grades, etc. I'm tired of it and want something that will load the bike into the truck safely and securely; hence the question on the two auto-loaders that I've found.

As for not having a "location" where we live, that's because home is where we park it.

Marty

Last edited by martyandpeg; 02-20-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: SP
Old 02-20-2009, 09:36 PM
martyandpeg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rydermike
Depending where you live ( You left that BLANK ,secret???) you might be able to find taligaite leve ramps , like at small business's farm implement or equiptment dealers , often are out in the open 24/7
We actually live in a motorcoach, tow the truck with the Harley in the back. Hence, we don't really live anywhere.......

Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Pop Pop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by martyandpeg
Ok, I've been thru this type of discussion before, but I'm looking for guidance here. I have a 2007 Softail Custom that rides in the back of a 2007 Ford Ranger with a 7 foot box. I've looked at two types of auto-loaders, and each have there advantages/disadvantages.

The first is the Rampage lift (www.rampagelift.com). It's a little pricey, about $2600 plus shipping. It's main disadvantage for me is that I will not be able to close the tailgate (remember, I have a 7' box) when it is installed, and pulling it out of the truck is not something I think want to get into. The biggest advantage is the reviews I've seen.

The other one is called the CruiserRamp (www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserramp.html). It is a little less expensive, about $1900 plus shipping. One of the features I like about this one is the assembly does not hinder me from closing the tailgate. The one disadvantage is it still uses ramps.

So, I see lots of reveiw on Rampage, but not many on CruiserRamp. Has anyone used one, seen one, loved one, hated one, would sell thier first born for one?

Thanks;

Marty
Consider the rampagelift really seriously. Saw one demonstrated Bike week in Daytona. It was slick and easy. Don't own one, but have considered it seriously. Just ride for now. It is really a well made item. Price back a few was about $2K. Guess they've found a good market and raised prices.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:03 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,845 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Trade off that motorhome for a toy hauler motor home.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:41 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy shiet! Have things changed. I have never seen so much expensive gadgetry for this specific manuever. Whatever happened to a 2x9 and a ditch? Wow.

I be you live up north.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:01 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I always used hemlock planks and help.The reason is because only ever hauled my Harleys only twice in 45+ yrs of riding.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:07 AM
DaltonHD
Cruiser

Nevermind..

Last edited by DaltonHD; 02-21-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:04 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeJunkie
Trade off that motorhome for a toy hauler motor home.
This way you can keep your bike in the living room!

Sounds like a loader would be a big help to you considering how many times you will use it.
Cant tell you which one is better.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:10 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by martyandpeg
OK, a few clarifications. Our "home" is a 40' diesel motorcoach and we pull the truck behind us. The bike rides in the truck.
Sounds like a deployment.

Quick Reply: Loading a bike into a pickup truck