General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to "Indian" today

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,829 Likes on 6,918 Posts
Default Went to "Indian" today

Well the wife and I took off work to enjoy the 60+ degree weather today even though it was overcast all day.

We rode a total of 277 miles and covered Lexington, NC, Salisbury, NC, Concord, NC (stopped at Pat Rogers Speedway HD) and then I got the brainstorm to ride on down to Indian.

Gastonia, NC
Exit #22 off I-85
Then right on Indian Trail

Well I have taken the wife to almost every motorcycle dealership brand wise that there is. She is a die hard Harley fan and if I had bought anything else she would have left me. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, BMW, Victory, IronHorse you name it she liked NOTHING.

Maybe I should not have taken her to Indian because she fell in love with them. We have an agreement that we are NOT going to sell or trade our first Harley the 08 SG. But we are shopping and looking forward to buying a second bike. We had pretty much decided that an Ultra Classic would be our next purchase in a year or so. Well I may receive orders to buy an Indian instead.

105 Cubic Inch Motor
6 Speed Baker Tranny

I will say they make a very nice product. It is comfortable to me and looks beautiful. Some color combinations are not for me but others were nicer than anything I have seen on a Harley. The seats are the most comfortable I have sat on and the overall fit and finish far exceeded the SG we own. They are longer and they feel very light with the center of gravity being lower than the HD.

They are very proud of them but there are not any other options to buy. I did not know that Indian was founded in 1901 and is older than Harley even though they were out of product for a while.

Currently they have 17 dealers and many service agreements with indy's around the country. The warranty is two years unlimited mileage and if you break down they will cover all towing with a certified motorcycle towing company, provide auto transportation if required, cover hotel and dinner and fly the parts in air overnight if required.

He said they will build a total of 700 of the 2009 models with 50 people currently working at the plant in Kings Mountain, NC and hope to more than doule that quantity on the 2010 models.

Overall it was a very pleasent experience, the showroom is nice and the people are very friendly and knowledgeable without being pushy. He asked if I would like to take one for a test drive but we were on a mission with a lot of miles to go and I took a rain check and plan to go back down in about a month for the ride.

The wife spent $115.00 there in stuff which is really cool and the only complaint I had at all was the old time Indian Oil Cans that were $19.95 and yeah they were EMPTY. I was actually going to buy one for the shop to go with my other display items and could not believe when I picked it up that it was empty!

If you are in the area you'll be glad you stopped if you go by.

Happy riding

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 02-26-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 PM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which one did you look at? The Roadmaster?

BTW, go to their website and out the Les Paul leather jacket. Cool but way overpriced ($995!)

Old 02-26-2009, 08:52 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Smokin lookin bikes but really expensive

Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by steel insane
Which one did you look at? The Roadmaster?

BTW, go to their website and out the Les Paul leather jacket. Cool but way overpriced ($995!)
The first one I sat on was a Deluxe with a solo seat. It felt great.

Then I got on a Roadmaster and the wife climbed on the back and commented immediately at how comfortable the seat and back rest were and we both noticed the extra two to three inches between us.

She really likes the Vintage in the red and white with the tan seat and bags. I fell in love with a solid Black Chief with white walls, billet wheels and tan seat. It has so much CLASS and is a work of art.

Of course it was over $35K also!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

The original Indian company went out of business in the mid 50's. There is no continuity between them and the present company except in name and general appearance. To say they've been around longer than Harley is totally wrong.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by steel insane

http://indianmotorcycle.com/store/pr...ul-ranger.aspx

Overpriced is an understatement.

I don't care for it at a fourth of the price.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

All I can say is.................YOU BIOTCH! You drove to Indian's new factory and didn't even bother to post pictures. You're just trying to taunt us aren't you? Hang your head in shame!!

Seriously though...they are making a beautiful bike and I agree with you the quality is definitely there. The only thing I would add is that while there isn't very much in the way of parts and accessories, there really isn't much to do either. The bikes are dripping in chrome from the factory to start with and eventually there will be more available once the aftermarket begins to kick in.

I've been thinking about buying a Chief Vintage myself...unfortunately there still doesn't appear to be any dealers here yet. I've called the factory and they tell me they're working on getting dealers set up here in So Cal.

Be sure to post pics if buy one. They're much to beautiful not to share.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tda69
All I can say is.................YOU BIOTCH! You drove to Indian's new factory and didn't even bother to post pictures. You're just trying to taunt us aren't you? Hang your head in shame!!

Seriously though...they are making a beautiful bike and I agree with you the quality is definitely there. The only thing I would add is that while there isn't very much in the way of parts and accessories, there really isn't much to do either. The bikes are dripping in chrome from the factory to start with and eventually there will be more available once the aftermarket begins to kick in.

I've been thinking about buying a Chief Vintage myself...unfortunately there still doesn't appear to be any dealers here yet. I've called the factory and they tell me they're working on getting dealers set up here in So Cal.

Be sure to post pics if buy one. They're much to beautiful not to share.
VERY SORRY!

That last thing on my mind this morning was the camera. The minute we walked into the dealership I looked at the wife and said i wish I had remembered the camera. I'll be sure and get some pictures the next trip down.

Yes they are dripping with chrome!

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 02-26-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
The original Indian company went out of business in the mid 50's. There is no continuity between them and the present company except in name and general appearance. To say they've been around longer than Harley is totally wrong.
Agreed

Not trying to say they have been around longer. Just that they were founded first which I did not know and it actually surprised me.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In this economy, and for what they are asking for these bikes, will they still be around in a few years? They ARE beautiful bikes but I gotta wonder about the timing and expense.

Quick Reply: Went to "Indian" today