General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch slip or just me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Cakalac
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch slip or just me?

When I am sitting still and I begin to take off, my bike starts off just fine but at the very end of the clutch release there seems to be a feeling I can't describe. I'm not sure it's a slip but maybe like a drag on the clutch. I know this is tough but does anybody ever feel this? It may be nothing but this is my first HD so it may be normal. Every other gear is fine and normal and when I downshift I don't feel it. Only at the very end of disengaging when taking off in first.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:41 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Not knowing or watching how hard you are into the throttle, is it possible that you're not shifting soon enough and hitting the rev limiter?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Cakalac
Tourer

no it's on the disengage of clutch when taking off. I am stopped at redlight, and when I start to roll off at the very end right before I let go of the clutch it has a drag feeling. it only happens for a split second and it's gone.

If you can picture this. I have the clutch pulled in and when I release the clutch, the bike starts to roll and i am applying the throttle slowly. right before I totally let off the clutch there is a drag feeling. So it's the last 1/2 to 1/4 inch of the clutch before total disengage. the beginning and all the other gears are fine it's just on take off.

Last edited by Cakalac; 02-28-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Connor17
Intermediate

maybe taking off in 2nd or 3rd on accident?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Cakalac
Tourer

Originally Posted by Connor17
maybe taking off in 2nd or 3rd on accident?
No that's def. not it. This is my first HD but not my first time to ride a motorcycle.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Connor17
Intermediate

that was the story of my MSF class hahahaha.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:57 AM
lava red
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cakalac
When I am sitting still and I begin to take off, my bike starts off just fine but at the very end of the clutch release there seems to be a feeling I can't describe. I'm not sure it's a slip but maybe like a drag on the clutch. I know this is tough but does anybody ever feel this? It may be nothing but this is my first HD so it may be normal. Every other gear is fine and normal and when I downshift I don't feel it. Only at the very end of disengaging when taking off in first.
You should have some play in your clutch lever if not its to tite.Cable only not hydrallic.My 2 cent.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Cakalac
Tourer

I hope your right, i don't want to replace a clutch right now at 6K miles. I figure if it was the clutch I would have issues in every gear and I don't.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:12 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Try adjusting the clutch at the cable and give a bit more free play. If that doesn't help adjsut the clutch inside the derby cover. Simple.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:26 PM
budwfo
Road Captain

I have owned a few other Harleys and this 08 does something like what your talking about, not all the time but occasionally. It usually happens in a group of riders upon take off when i have to work the clutch more, like it takes a split second to react to me releasing the clutch lever.

And yes, my clutch is adjusted properly, this only happens every once in a while and i contribute it to driver error....

Quick Reply: Clutch slip or just me?