General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley sales

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:54 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts
Default Harley sales

Just saw a local news cast about Daytona bike week and a report from destination Datona about the high sales volume for HD. They talked to Bruce Rossmeyer and he said Harley buyers seemed to be better off than the general public. The reported stated that Bruce was taking in over $250k a day. Typical of today's reporters parts of the who,what, where, why and when was missing. I think the reporter just meant Destination Daytona and not the total of the 15 dealerships that he has.

It was good to hear of the volume sales. A local dealer where I just picked up my XR1200 two days ago said that they have had strong sales so far this year and they are getting more bikes than in the past.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:11 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They want the public to think so, but they are hurting to.
I am not happy to see it but c’mon, enough with the B.S. HD riders are just like common folk, some well off ,some poor, some in the middle. With the current economy especially in N.E area he is full of bikes & full of ****!!!

Kelly’s HD 15 miles away are not afraid to tell it like it is, they will do whatever it takes to sell you a bike, they are cheaper than Bruce and they know the worst is yet to come.
And they will tell you to look around we aren’t selling much so what kind of deal can we do.
I like Boston HD & buy most of my HD parts there but, they need to get real.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:12 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain

How do you like the bike in the XL? that is the best color for that I want one...

Old 03-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Moonrunner
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think sales are hurting much here in Montana so far. I saw in the HOG newsletter last week than our local dealer had sold over 60 bikes in the past two months and we haven't had over 7 days above 40 degrees and/or without snow on the ground yet.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:40 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain

How long can they keep up the charades’ Boston Hd is FULL if bikes, you can’t squeeze another in there.
There used showroom is so packed they are 4 deep & standing in the isles, just go & look at the repo bikes they have. Its sad most are 07s and 08s

Yep you will see a spike in the spring but then watch. Think about it, if they are letting us believe they are doing well, bikes hold value, stock stays high. And people pay more.
Go & buy a car today. Bikes are doing worse. And don’t try to sell me the saving gas b.s. 20k can buy a lot of gas.
The guy that sold me my 08 is a friend of mine and has been selling bikes for years.
He had to get a second job because he isn’t selling nearly as well as he used to. But he was told to tell a different story. Marketing is all it’s about.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

$250k a day? I wouldn't bet the ranch on that. I know they sell their fare share of scooters but also have a HUGE repo team.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:22 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

We all know if the media says it, it's true!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:25 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You've got to take into consideration that this is the largest Harley dealer and that helps to make it a big tourist destination. I'm sure that the figures he throws out aren't just new bike sales. So it is possible that his sales are doing well, I know that every time I'm there, and that's not just during bikeweek, they have new bikes lined up going out the door all day long.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:04 AM
StreetBobJD
Intermediate

As the old saying goes... Liars figure and figures lie!

Old 03-08-2009, 08:07 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would imagine that some individual dealers are doing better than others, but sales figures from Harley themselves give a better overall picture.

The following information was released a couple of days ago;

Thu Mar 05, 2009

www.bizjournals.com

Harley-Davidson sales down 13 percent in 2009 - The Business Journal of Milwaukee

Harley-Davidson Inc. of Milwaukee made the unusual move Thursday of disclosing in a regulatory filing that worldwide retail sales of Harley motorcycles fell 13 percent during the first two months of the year.

Last edited by OldFenderGuy; 03-08-2009 at 08:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Harley sales