General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley vs Honda Police Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
Actually maintenance costs don't really vary that much for bikes. In alot of cases Harley can be the cheaper (and easier) bike to maintain when you get down to it. Initial cost alot of times isn't really a huge consideration either, as many departments get the bikes for next to nothing (some dealers or the MoCo would donate them at $1 a year. I would imagine the other brands have something similar at times.)
The $1.00 lease program is long gone. Back when supply was short, and demand was strong, dealers could lease the Police bikes for "$1 a year". After the lease was up, the dealer could sell the bike to a civilian for WAY more than they would have charged the Police department for an initial purchase. So, the dealer got paid for set-up of the original bike, maintenace, and then gets the bike back and sells it at a nice profit.....And then the PD gets another lease bike.

Today, for example, the bid price on an FLHP is $14,250 (in Florida). If an agency leases that bike for a year ($200 to $500 a month depending on dealer and options), after the year of collecting the lease, a civilian is gonna stroll in and pay more than that $14,250. Nice deal....for the dealer.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:08 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

San Fransisco cops ride Hondas, in the gay pride parade.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:15 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gary_montague
San Fransisco cops ride Hondas, in the gay pride parade.
Funny, I thought all the gay ones wore do rags and vests with no shirt. I've yet to see a police uniform like that.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rdam
The $1.00 lease program is long gone.
I can't speak for the new bikes Bowling Green PD will pick up in 2009 but the 2008 bikes were on the lease for $1 program. I can ask them folks on April 4 when I see them.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Short & sweet - I'd much prefer my tax $$ support an American-based manufacturer. Yep, there are other considerations, too.

Still laugh when I remember the Charleston, SC motor cop on his Honda-matic 750.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 PM
danielo
Elite HDF Member

Never rode a working Honda But did a Harley,and then the dept switched to cow 1000's about 4 years they switched back to Harleys,and have been with them ever sence.Seems like the Harleys could take a lot more abuse than the Kawasakis.and as for hot weather and traffic I never had a problem with mine.No there not as fast but they just keep on chuging.Back in the 70's Fort Worth switched to Honda 750's,and after about 2 years they went back to Harleys,seems like the Hondas just couldn't hold up.

Last edited by danielo; 03-09-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As a citizen paying taxes, I just want the local PD to ride the best bike for the application. If parade duty is actually a priority in choosing a PD motorcycle, then we need a new police chief.

(I spent a lot of my childhood overseas and have seen several moto-cops chase down perps like action movie stars on the BMWs--bricks, not boxers. I'd pay money to see a Harley, any Harley, ridden the same way.)

Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 PM
TXK9
Intermediate

Honda in San Antonio and BMW in Corpus Christie. The SA officers seem to like the Hondas.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Sod Farmer
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bksmoky
I didn't ride when I was working. However form the link presented it doesn't sounds like a fair comparision.

First off, Honda's entry into the police market is very short. This news piece doesn't talk about "long term" costs. That would also include trade in value.

For the longest time Harley and BMW were the strongest in the market with Harley having the longest tradition.

Police riders that I knew were excited about BMW as they were the first police bike with ABS. Now that Harley has ABS and addressed some of the heat issues and handling. I think the studies will have to include the new 2009 touring line to really be fair.

The Honda didn't appear to have much extra room for items such as First Aid and other first response items and other gear.

I think that on a day to day basis the Honda might be cheaper. But then again I sure wouldn't have enjoyed a Honda Prius for a squad car either!
Last time I checked, Honda does not make the Prius.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

State and local both have Harleys here in Mo

Quick Reply: Harley vs Honda Police Bikes