General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida vertical plate law

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:11 AM
BMdeckie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida vertical plate law

Well I am sure we all know the law in florida about having your plates mounted vertical. While in Daytona for Bike Week I lost count of how many people on both bikes and in cars that were giving me a friendly heads up on the 1000-1500 dollar fine. I even had a very nice elderly local couple appraoch me at lunch to let me know about the law so I wouldnt get a ticket, even they thought it was a "dumb" citation to give. I decided not to risk it anymore and to change it.

However, after returning from Destination Daytona back to our hotel I noticed this......

If you notice you can see the piece of license plate still attached to the bolt.

Well not wanting to just park the bike with another full day of riding I thought a make shift plate would suffice.

It was made from a K&N filter box, it actually stayed on longer than the metal plate. I also never got pulled over once for it.

OH, one more thing. If anyone sees an Illinois plate on I-95 going from Destination Daytona to Main st. let me know.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:56 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Crazy but good thinking. Thing that makes you have to laugh is they pull everyone over for a vertical plate and then you make ur own plate out of cardboard and they don't pull you over LMAO.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:34 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah they had one guy down here get poppped with the 1500 or so dollar ticket. his plate was mounted vertical. it was also mounted to a ragged looking throw over saddle bag.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:30 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 311 Likes on 181 Posts

Ouch.... expensive. I've got mine mounted under my left saddlebag but horizontal. Wonder how many crotch rockets got a ticket being mounted under the fender/seat ?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Necessity - The Mother of Invention.

Note to self: Vertical - NO, Cardboard - Yes

Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need to check, But I heard that the 1,100 doller tickets were going to be reduced to a 20 buck ticket. Seems that the new statute was for (Knowing attempted concealment.) Seems like some sport bike riders had flip down mounts that would hide the tag if a leo chased them. Having a vertical tag would just be a non-moving violation of improper mounting. I was told this by an officer. Anyone know for sure?

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by honestbob
Need to check, But I heard that the 1,100 doller tickets were going to be reduced to a 20 buck ticket. Seems that the new statute was for (Knowing attempted concealment.) Seems like some sport bike riders had flip down mounts that would hide the tag if a leo chased them. Having a vertical tag would just be a non-moving violation of improper mounting. I was told this by an officer. Anyone know for sure?
Flager Beach police reduced the cost from the $1,151 tickets and changed the violation to an improper display which is a $90 ticket. But that is just one department the last I heard Daytona Beach Police hadn't reduced the tickets they wrote.