General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is the fastest 1/4 mile bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Focke66
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
It's funny to hang around Harley guys and listen to them talk about modding their bikes for power adding this, boring that, then telling how bad their machine is. As soon as somebody reminds 'em that a stock 600cc sportbike will still smoke 'em, the Harley guys quickly change the topic to cruising, style, heritage, or anything else that is totally away from performance.....LOL.

I totally disagree with you. My 2007 FXSTC with Fatcat, intake, and lot of track tuning beats almost every 600 that tries off the line. They can't launch very hard, they will flip.

At New Alexandria, PA for test and tune day I was crushing a ZX-11 off the line. Of course he blew by me once I hit 3rd gear but...how far are redlights on the street?

It's fun to make them angry redlight to redlight.

BTW, with only those modification I ran 12.80's.

With the heads done, cam changed, compression to a more musclecar level, 113 cubic inches, and yet more tuning I am expecting low 11's. Of course in a true 1/4, such as a track or long stretch of highway, a sportbike will top end me, but bikes like ours (well mine anyhow) are suited for a hard launch...redlight to redlight it will be tough for a sport bike to beat a hard launch unless I see it has wheelie bars.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:39 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
You are correct there, but in all my years I've never heard of any Italian bike referred to as metric. Since HD also lists stuff like 1340cc and 1450cc, I guess you could call them metrics too?
I think metric bikes in biker lingo refer to UJM (universal Japanese Motorcycles).

Our Harleys have several metric fasteners on them. Just look up in the service manual any service work for your front forks. Also Brembo brakes (Italian) on the new ones and gawd only knows what country the fuel injection is now made.

So, we drive an American bike? Or is it metric? The service manual has measurements listed both ways.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 03-16-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred00
That's a common misconception. The crotch rockets have some of the best instant acceleration numbers on the market, especially the bigger ones (naturally). In a top gear roll-on situation from 60mph a Harley has absolutely zero chance. Here you have some numbers:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/pe...lts/index.html

The '07 Screamin' Eagle Dyna can't even hang with a 600cc crotch rocket in that kind of roll-on test. The Harley would have to downshift a gear or two to hang with the 600. The 1000s in 6th gear would probably beat that Dyna in any gear.

Either you have a very souped-up Harley, or there's something wrong with his Benelli...
No offense, but the se bikes aren't all that fast. They're still hampered by federalregs

Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Focke66
I totally disagree with you. My 2007 FXSTC with Fatcat, intake, and lot of track tuning beats almost every 600 that tries off the line. They can't launch very hard, they will flip.

At New Alexandria, PA for test and tune day I was crushing a ZX-11 off the line. Of course he blew by me once I hit 3rd gear but...how far are redlights on the street?

It's fun to make them angry redlight to redlight.

BTW, with only those modification I ran 12.80's.

With the heads done, cam changed, compression to a more musclecar level, 113 cubic inches, and yet more tuning I am expecting low 11's. Of course in a true 1/4, such as a track or long stretch of highway, a sportbike will top end me, but bikes like ours (well mine anyhow) are suited for a hard launch...redlight to redlight it will be tough for a sport bike to beat a hard launch unless I see it has wheelie bars.
You are comparing a good rider, you, to a poor rider on a metric. All things equal, the metric is the superior machine when it comes to performance.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Dutch110
Tourer

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
You are comparing a good rider, you, to a poor rider on a metric. All things equal, the metric is the superior machine when it comes to performance.
Agreed. Used to take my race bike (600 cc R6) to the dragstrip to practice starts for racing. Due to the low end torque of the Harley off the line it is inherently easier to launch. Launching an inline four in the power band takes a heck of a lot more skill and practice then the average street squid has.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch110
Agreed. Used to take my race bike (600 cc R6) to the dragstrip to practice starts for racing. Due to the low end torque of the Harley off the line it is inherently easier to launch. Launching an inline four in the power band takes a heck of a lot more skill and practice then the average street squid has.
and is expecting to need.

The harley can make it fun around town - that's why I'm building mine. I don't expect to beat a ZX-14 on the track, or even in town, but I can make the 600's really work at it, and have fun too, which is what I want.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:17 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Arizona
Race me from San Diego to Miami and lets see if the crotch rocket wins...
I'll take that race and you had better be packing more than a lunch in that bagger. Not everyone has a problem with the ergos of their sportbike. In my case I can ride that thing for hours on end and given the scenario we couldn't get a ticket for speeding, I can cruise at speeds that will boil the oil in that bagger. That said, the bagger will come up short at every fuel stop as my 600cc crotch rocket can clear 250 miles on a load of fuel too.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:54 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

When I was young numb and full of the white stuff,it really mattered to me.The Harleys I was riding back then made the rice look bad.Now that I am a little older,wiser,and generally could care less,I still like making the rice sweat!It is not about winning,losing,or what you are riding,it's all about being in the wind.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Did any of you watch that Buell run a 6.9 Sunday?
It sounded really tough going down the strip

Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
I think metric bikes in biker lingo refer to UJM (universal Japanese Motorcycles).

Our Harleys have several metric fasteners on them. Just look up in the service manual any service work for your front forks. Also Brembo brakes (Italian) on the new ones and gawd only knows what country the fuel injection is now made.

So, we drive an American bike? Or is it metric? The service manual has measurements listed both ways.
Metric came into style when the dealers realized people wanting cruisers didn't want a "Jap" bike. Just political correctness for those that want to pretend they're not on a Japper.

Quick Reply: Who is the fastest 1/4 mile bike?