General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made in the usa

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Head
Ah, but the profits stay in this country their's don't. Japan says thank you Honda riders.
Profits go to the stockholders, who could be from anywhere.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:56 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by piasspj
I think my Honda and Kawasaki also had a Made in USA tag.
I don't recall ever seeing Made in China on the parts (I didn't need many but some of them had Made in Japan on the boxes).
Most of the chrome parts put on my bike have China on their packaging, as do the overpriced Harley gloves my lady bought.

Honda is also moving the assembly of their Gold Wings back to Japan, from Marysville, Ohio.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Made in America is regulated by the FTC. Harley's content does not reach the level required
nor has any Honda ever. I am not aware of the content level but I'm thinking in the 90 to 95 % range to put an official Made in America mark on it. The union label is about the workers who put it together not who made the parts.

At one time Honda put Made in America in white letters on the back seat of the Valk, but the FTC found out and made them cease. The bikes were assembled in the Ohio plant.
Actually I think it's only 75% of the parts have to be made in America or Canada for it to be labeled made in the USA.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:11 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many parts of the puzzle to consider when we say Made in America. One facet is where the product is engineered. What is the parts content, as none of the motorcycles are 100% made in any country. The next issue is where the profits go. Saying they go to the stockholders is a bit overstated. Expenses like retirees and debt and research are all covered before the stockholders get a cut. I don't remember the exact numbers, but with the big three, the difference was very substantial in terms of the benefits retained by americans.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:19 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Gary, expenses are not "profits."

http://www.madeinusa.com/index.shtml

Both Harley and Honda will be listed as companies producing "Made in America" products.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:58 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Head
Ah, but the profits stay in this country their's don't. Japan says thank you Honda riders.
So, I guess you don't buy TV's or computers?

Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You people show why Americans are so stupid... comments like "I think", "I have heard", etc. are for uneducated types. If you don't know, don't say anything. This is how stupid ideas like Honda's have more American content than Harley's get started. The idea is just stupid. I agree, most of the MOTOR CLOTHS are not US, that is why I don't buy them. The bike are mostly American - the frame, wheels, tires, almost all the plastic, and all the castings and stampings in the engine are USA. In fact, if you take a tour of the factory, you see a LOT of this is made in house. There are some foreign parts- try getting a starter made in the US for instance. Many of my suppliers are same as for Harley, I see their parts being made all the time - most in the US.

Oh yeah, the cylinder sleeves are made in China- shipped to the US where they are cast into the cylinders and then machined here.

The other thing is that all the accountants, sales, engineers, marketing, and other professionals at Harley are in the US. For Honda, many of the high paid jobs are in Japan.

You guys sound like the Morons I meet who drive Toyota and say it is just as good as a Chevy because it is assembled in the US. Then they wonder where all the good jobs are (of course it is Bush's fault). I know - In JAPAN you morons. Wake up.

Ed

Old 03-16-2009, 09:01 PM
codyshop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Profits go to the stockholders, who could be from anywhere.
Agreed. Too many people have no idea just how many American citizens do well when Honda and Toyota, etc. do well.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
johnnyshrooms
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lowrinden packer, i don't know if i wanna kill you or hug you? did you read my earlier post? One thing i'll tell you, only one American will ever put another wrench on my bike, me.

Last edited by johnnyshrooms; 03-16-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: another
Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a cheese box or a soap box that you're on there Lowridin packer???

You made a good point or two...but you are no different than the rest of us. You would like for all HD stuff (clothes too) to be made in the USA, but it ain't the way it is. I got a feeling you wear jeans and tee's like many of us - made in Indonesia, Mexico, Bumfluck China and who knows where else.

Where was your computer made (including parts), how about your TV, your cell phone, your GPS, microwave, coffee pot...aw-hell - you get the point. And I got a big idea that this is one reason our country is in a mess. We're paying too many to set on their asses and NOT work. Funny thing is now there ain't many jobs to be had for those that want to work.

I just hope HD can hold on. That's why I have decided to continue to support my local dealer. I'm letting them do more service work and I may even buy a t-shirt in the near future.

Quick Reply: Made in the usa