General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made in the usa

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:29 PM
titusvilleharley
Banned For Ripping Off HDF Members
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronny c.
got to jaw boning with a bunch of honda riders all in fun back and forth about hondas and harleys; they were saying there bikes were more american made than a harley and harleys dont say made in usa because not enough content of the bike is made in america. I found that everybody there, even other harley owners believed it to be true, NOW, after simply looking at the frame, under the vin. it says UNION MADE IN THE U.S.A., UNITED STEEL WORKERS. QUESTION; has there ever been a harley that didnt say made in usa? mines an 09 street bob. how did this rumer get started? ive found alot of people believe it.
there is another sticker on the bike I.A.M that is my union that builds the harleys,

Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 PM
titusvilleharley
Banned For Ripping Off HDF Members

fu#k metric

Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM
johnnyshrooms
Cruiser

and you can't make a cylinder sleeve somewhere else and then have it cast anywhere else. mabye bored in the US but............................................... .............

Old 03-17-2009, 12:41 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Made in America is regulated by the FTC. Harley's content does not reach the level required
nor has any Honda ever. I am not aware of the content level but I'm thinking in the 90 to 95 % range to put an official Made in America mark on it. The union label is about the workers who put it together not who made the parts.
I think you're talking about Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act ("FTC Act"), 15 U.S.C. § 45, which prohibits "unfair or deceptive acts or practices." The Made in the U.S.A. claims do not have specific percentages, but rather focus on whether the proof of product origin evidences "that the product is all or virtually all made in the United States." While the FTC does have a policy statement it does not have a clear definition of the percentages for products manufacture.

Also note,for goods from NAFTA countries, determinations are codified in "tariff shift" regulations contained at 19 C.F.R. § 102.

The American Automobile Labeling Act requires that each new automobile for sale in the U.S. bear a label disclosing where the car was assembled, the percentage of equipment that originated in the U.S. and Canada, and the country of origin of the engine and transmission.

The Buy American Act requires that a product be manufactured in the U.S. of more than 50 percent U.S. parts to be considered Made in USA for government procurement purposes. For more information, review the Buy American Act at 41 U.S.C. §§ 10a-10c, the Federal Acquisition Regulations at 48 C.F.R. Part 25, and the Trade Agreements Act at 19 U.S.C. §§ 2501-2582.

Honda is not the only company accused of false Made in the USA claims. The most notable Honda claim was for lawnmowers, which was settled by Honda. Here are a few other companies (some a bit surprising) that have faced false Made in USA claims ...

Sears ... 2004 ... Sears hit with major class-action suite for claiming it's Craftsman series of tools were "Made in the USA." While a significant portion of the Craftsman line is made in America (notably by Danaher Tool Group) there was enough of the line (including power tools) made elsewhere to warrant action.

Stanley Tools ... 2006 ... the company paid the FTC a "voluntary" fine of $205,000 regarding the Made in USA claim for their Zero Degree ratchets. This was the 2nd FTC claim made by the FTC against the company (also paid by the company).

The US Trade deficit has actually fallen over $3 Billion ... which is about 1%. Countries like Germany, Brazil, and China continue to have a trade surplus. In fact, Brazil announced this week that they are generating a surplus of $138 Million each week. That's roughly a trend of just over $7 Billion in a year ... and the US market accounts for roughly 1/3 of that.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:05 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Joe
Is that a cheese box or a soap box that you're on there Lowridin packer???

You made a good point or two...but you are no different than the rest of us. You would like for all HD stuff (clothes too) to be made in the USA, but it ain't the way it is. I got a feeling you wear jeans and tee's like many of us - made in Indonesia, Mexico, Bumfluck China and who knows where else.

Where was your computer made (including parts), how about your TV, your cell phone, your GPS, microwave, coffee pot...aw-hell - you get the point. And I got a big idea that this is one reason our country is in a mess. We're paying too many to set on their asses and NOT work. Funny thing is now there ain't many jobs to be had for those that want to work.

I just hope HD can hold on. That's why I have decided to continue to support my local dealer. I'm letting them do more service work and I may even buy a t-shirt in the near future.
Better reason...we ALLOWED all the jobs to be taken overseas. So now there are no jobs.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:18 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

The profits made on a harley stay in america, the prfits from a honda go back to japan. They all have parts from around the world. Don't get hung up on made in america or you will own nothing anymore. Walk around the house and see what you have that is current that is made here,maybe 5% if lucky or your house is full of really old stuff. Its a bike just ride that sucker .Just try not to let them honda's out run ya. hehehe

Old 03-17-2009, 04:32 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lowridin packer
You people show why Americans are so stupid... comments like "I think", "I have heard", etc. are for uneducated types. If you don't know, don't say anything. This is how stupid ideas like Honda's have more American content than Harley's get started. The idea is just stupid. I agree, most of the MOTOR CLOTHS
It's ironic when someone who can't spell calls others things like "stupid" and "morons". Do you wear cloths or clothes? Moron.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:51 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE=golfblues;4715290]Is that a Buffalo on your bike?

Thats a good one!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:25 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

This will never die.The best way to find out what is going on,pickup a book or two on Harleys history.They are all very informative,then you will be able to separate the Bull from Blowhards.The parts that really matter on a Harley are all made in the USA.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Victory wins the "most made in the USA" contest

Quick Reply: Made in the usa