General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

booze on bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default booze on bikes

my lady and i are seeing mofro in asheville this weekend. we thought we'd each carry a flask of our favorite spirit because we aren't made of money but we like to have fun.

does anyone else carry a flask and have you gotten harassed about having an "open container"? if i put the flask in a paper bag and staple it shut, what rights do i have concerning searches? i dont want to rip the big so appease a copper, then get pulled over later and popped for having an open container.

what rights have i regarding liquor and the road? assume nothing has been consumed, please.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 AM
looneycanuk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A colleague of mine was told to get a lock for his leather saddlebags when he was stopped (had a 6-pack in the bags). This way you cannot be opening your saddlebags, removing a beer, closing the saddelbag, opening the beer and then drinking it all while riding your bike. With this in mind, if someone is able to do this trick and not crash, they deserve a beer!

"Easily accessible to the driver" is a loose description catering to the cop's leniency so let that be your guide?

Originally Posted by Certainteed
my lady and i are seeing mofro in asheville this weekend. we thought we'd each carry a flask of our favorite spirit because we aren't made of money but we like to have fun.

does anyone else carry a flask and have you gotten harassed about having an "open container"? if i put the flask in a paper bag and staple it shut, what rights do i have concerning searches? i dont want to rip the big so appease a copper, then get pulled over later and popped for having an open container.

what rights have i regarding liquor and the road? assume nothing has been consumed, please.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Coloradodude
Cruiser

Always assume the worst. Most cops are wanting to jam you. Do not volunteer for any search, but that pisses them off. That being said,,,,, take chances and bring a whole lot of booze and have a great time.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I carry one on occasion and never worry about it, if you are pulled over and searched just be up front about it and tell the cop what you have and your intentions and more than likely you will have no problem, just don't have any on your breath

Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they want to harass you than you are harassed. If it is not readily accessible it should not be a problem. Several of my friends carry flask when we ride. Has never been a problem yet. I would carry a flask if I wished, but what with them MADD ****'s stirring trouble. You are always subject to more good times. This is from an almost nondrinker. Still luck of the draw anyway I look at it.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 AM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no law in having the alcohol...just none in your body

Old 03-24-2009, 10:25 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've carried bottles on my bikes before with no probs. Like tom said, just don't smell like it

Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Each state might very but the general rule is "with in reach of the driver".

If you are driving down the road and can't reach it to take a drink you should be alright. The same goes for RV's.

Keep it out of reach and have a great time when you hang up the keys!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:30 AM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont,but a few buddys do,then again when we stop at a watering hole,they drink down..Ice tea for me,when my bike is safe and put away for the day...woaya lets party

Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Savagehenry
Tourer

I wonder how this works if you get pulled over in a dry county. Can you "carry through"?

Quick Reply: booze on bikes