General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflective Vest..

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Beerninja
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being in the military I only wear one at night it is not a requirement to wear the vest at all times so I only wear it when I have to, I personally have not noticed any difference as far as people seeing me or not, they still seem to pull out in front and do dumb crap no matter what I am wearing.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:50 PM
deepspace
Banned

I sometimes wonder if people aren't cutting off motorcycles in traffic because they know they can rather than because they don't see them. If thats the case, more visibility won't stop them. But who knows...

Old 03-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not a bad idea at all. And one thing many don't think about is not so much that they'll see you while ON the bike, but after you go down/crash esp at night if you're wearing alot of black or dark clothing they won't see YOU while you're laying there on the freeway - having survived a crash only to get run OVER by idiots behind you.

Always remember to GET UP and run like hell for the side of the road if you ever go down esp on the freeway. You may or may not be able to do this depending on your state of consciousness, level of injury, etc. This is when you're at the mercy of whether they see you laying in the traffic lanes dressed only in black...

Old 03-30-2009, 09:05 PM
powaypete
Road Master

My only question is:
By looking at your sig, you ride a full dresser. With the bat wing out front and the tour pak on the back, how much of the vest are they really going to see? My opinion would be to wear a halo on your helmet. It's a reflective material (white or silver) and would blend in during the day but light up during the night time. Just some food for thought.

I have a Heritage and always run with the spots on, day or night, and have installed extra lights on the back. I ride to work at 5:30 am. The ride home in the afternoon, I wear a jacket with the US Flag on the back that gets lots of attention.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:09 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
Not a bad idea at all. And one thing many don't think about is not so much that they'll see you while ON the bike, but after you go down/crash esp at night if you're wearing alot of black or dark clothing they won't see YOU while you're laying there on the freeway - having survived a crash only to get run OVER by idiots behind you.

Always remember to GET UP and run like hell for the side of the road if you ever go down esp on the freeway. You may or may not be able to do this depending on your state of consciousness, level of injury, etc. This is when you're at the mercy of whether they see you laying in the traffic lanes dressed only in black...
Sounds like everyone would know this, but you know you have to hear a about it, to think about it when it happens. You have to plant that little voice in your head.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I wear one when I have to, i.e. going on base. It sure didn't help the moron who pulled out in front of me see me about 20 minutes ago on my way home from work.
I went to hit the horn, but gave them the angry left blinker instead, followed by the angry low beam. I was pretty busy avoiding them.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:08 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

The vest is probably affective and I've noticed more people wearing them around here but it's not for me.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:23 AM
oldbagr
Road Master

I see more riders with vests and they do seem to make the riders much more visible even during the daylight. I like the vest idea because you can put it on over your jacket whenever you need it or take it off and store it in your bag when you don't.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I see the reflective vest as making you more visible from the rear at night when other vehicles have their lights on. I doubt that it helps much with oncoming traffic. If they don't see my three front lights (plus two lit turn signals), chances are they are not going to pay attention to a vest.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:33 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wear what you want. Looks stupid to me but I am not wearing it.

Quick Reply: Reflective Vest..