General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Museum

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 AM
BobbyD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Museum

Last week I had the chance to visit the HD Museum in Milwaukee. Pretty cool place, lots of great looking bikes. Attached is a pic of what is to be the oldest Harley in the world (so the sign says). Near as they can figure, parts come from an 05' and some of the parts are stamped as number 1 (1903). Some say it was the first HD made and some disagree. Me, I just think the bike is cool and wanted to share the pic with those who may not be able to get to the museum themselves. Enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails HD Museum-number-1.jpg  
Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 AM
mtlakehog
Tourer

Thanks for the pic. Would like to go there someday.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:08 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyD
Last week I had the chance to visit the HD Museum in Milwaukee. Pretty cool place, lots of great looking bikes. Attached is a pic of what is to be the oldest Harley in the world (so the sign says). Near as they can figure, parts come from an 05' and some of the parts are stamped as number 1 (1903). Some say it was the first HD made and some disagree. Me, I just think the bike is cool and wanted to share the pic with those who may not be able to get to the museum themselves. Enjoy.
We were there ealier in the month and saw the bike up close. There are some really cool bike there. I liked the one for the Postal service with the big side box. The box was almost bigger then the bike!

I also enjoyed the bike someone made from two Electra glides (I believe). He took both bike and made it into one with two engines.

Also the Ultra from the 2003 anniversary was pretty cool with all the signiatures from everyone in the MOCO.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:16 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

I love that place. It's almost like a Religious experience for me going in there. I got into Chicago with a show yesterday and we are here today as well. I had organized a trip up to the Museum with about 7 guys on the crew that ride for today but now they've told us we have to stick around and can't leave! We all had to sign a contract for this tour when we started it stating among other things that we consent to random drug testing and some think we are going to have to pee in a cup today....Not a good enough reason to miss a trip to the museum in my opinion but I am being paid to be here so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:31 AM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, the museum is cool as hell. I will miss being so close to it when I retire (soon) and move south. I will be attending First Rumble at the museum on May 9th.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:07 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

made the trip last fall. yes i remember the bike you are talking about. i guess if they say it was the first then maybe it was.but it is cool place to go and a great place to be it is a very touching place.some very awsome bike's with out a doubt and i plan on going back one time is just not enough to see a place like that.it put's goose bump's on ya and seeing all the bike's thru the year's. well what can i say a person just has to see it.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:45 PM
DukeofEarl
Tourer

My wife and I went a few weeks ago. It was very neat. We both got a kick out of the engine wall which allowed you to hear the sounds of the oldest to newest engines. Lets you see when the Harley sound was lost.

Attached Thumbnails HD Museum-engine_wall.jpg  
Old 04-29-2009, 06:19 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After I bought my last bike last Summer Harley sent me 1 free admission ticket to the museum. "A 16.00 dollar value". The place IS COOL, but I don't like the fact that as usual, they're making big money on something that should be free to us if we've bought one of their bikes, or are a HOG member or something like that. I'm just tired of having to pay more than what I think is reasonable on everything Harley related knowing what their profit margin is. Can't they just do something for "us" once in awhile that's not going to cost us anything to show us their gratitude? Apparently not.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:46 PM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
After I bought my last bike last Summer Harley sent me 1 free admission ticket to the museum. "A 16.00 dollar value". The place IS COOL, but I don't like the fact that as usual, they're making big money on something that should be free to us if we've bought one of their bikes, or are a HOG member or something like that. I'm just tired of having to pay more than what I think is reasonable on everything Harley related knowing what their profit margin is. Can't they just do something for "us" once in awhile that's not going to cost us anything to show us their gratitude? Apparently not.
Umm... the MoCo sent you a ticket for 1 free admission didn't they?

They've got to make back the many millions they spent on that Museum somehow...

Old 04-29-2009, 06:49 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I was there last year for the 105th? or whatever it was. I rode up there on a whim and was able to get tickets at the door for FREE!! It was a good time and there is some very cool stuff there. Glad you could make it and thanks for sharing the pic.

MikeM

Quick Reply: HD Museum