General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife went down

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Backpeddler,
Sorry to hear about your wife's fall. My wife NEVER sat on a bike until the class. When the instructor said let the clutch out she did. Wheelie right off the bat. It is important the the instructor and student communicate and understand each other completely.
Wife passed and several months later I bought her a new 1200L.
I would ride it to the high school parking lot and she would follow in the car for several times. One time she popped the clutch on the 1200L and as she fell back she racked the throttle open and ran through a chain link fence.

Anyway I bought her a 250 Rebel and after 300 miles she went back to her 1200. After 2000 miles on the 1200 she bought a Heritage. I had it lowered and added a J&M CB so she and I could communicate. She is now riding anywhere she wants. Planning a trip to Harrison Arkansas next month. She started riding in spring of 2007 after getting her license in Aug. 2006. After two years I feel better about her riding but her constant practicing has proved the best for her confidence.

We practice every week in the school parking lot anywhere from 30 minutes to an 1 1/2 hours. Saturday she scraped the boards on her Heritage while practicing circles.
Don't give up. Buy the Ride like a Pro CD and get her all the professional lessons available.

My wife and I rode 225 miles yesterday with a lot of it on the interstate going to our son's place. The wife did better going through Indianapolis than I did. Take it slow, but you know that.

As a business owner, the right thing to do would have been for the dealer or instructors to check on her. I bet the dealer wishes he had after reading the post from everyone here. Good Luck

Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 PM
sandys
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope she heals soon. I am a female solo rider. I say give her some time. She will in time, decide if she wants to get back on again or not. The classes they give can be very nerve racking for beginners. Starting out on a smaller bike/ taking class on a smaller bike is best. Instructor should have called, however, just another day is probably how they saw it and many probably go down in some sort of fashion. Main thing is she is ok.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:50 PM
gregski
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

First off....I am sorry to hear of your wife's injuries but damn glad to hear she is healing.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I had to chuckle when you were describing your wife's injuries as "looks like she was a victim of domestic violence". My wife suffered similar injuries as the result of trying to walk a large dog (long, off topic subject). We ended up in ER that night, but I had to take her to her regular doctor the next day. Her doctor is in a rather large clinic with a common waiting room. Well the waiting room was pretty full and when we walked in, with her in front of me, you should have seen the dirty looks I got from some of the people. I felt like blurting out "She just doesn't listen!". But I didn't.

Hope she is back on a bike soon. Mine rides her own Deluxe. I love riding with her.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to admit that I bit it on one of damn Buells with the monster brakes in a tight lefty with too much speed. I touched, and I mean 'touched' the brake and it went down like it was on marbles. I can still remember seeing the turn signal explode when it hit the pavement. It was like in slow-motion.

I faired better than your wife, but to say the least, it really cemented an important lesson that I still think of ever ride. It's too bad she got as tore up as she did, because that kind of pain can be a real discouraging thing. Hope she can get back on that horse and take as slow as she wants too. Sounds like the instructor put a little pressure on her without checking to see if she was confident about trying the turn faster.