General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain Gear Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:43 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the HD two piece where the pants and jacket stuffs into the hood of the jacket. It packs up really small and get us nearly dry in pretty heavy rain. I say pretty dry because the only water that got in was a small amount around the collar. I definitely recommend this get up.

Also, get yourself some gaiters for your boots. For the gaiters I bought some cheap ones on-line and they worked fine.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,274 Posts

I've got a set of Tourmaster rain gear. Not very expensive and works great. I have the Sentinel jacket, pants, and boot covers.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned

Nelson Rigg make a great suit as a very reasonable price especially after your 10 % forum discount use coupon HF10 on checkout.

http://shop.techncyclegear.com/categ...?categoryId=30

Old 05-29-2009, 06:41 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

here's how I look at at. riding in any serious rain is something your gonna do as little as possible, so why spend a fortune on it. I go to the walmart sporting goods seciton and buy a 2-piece rainsuit. they come with elastic waist and wrist bands and have always done the job for me. that's all I've ever used in all my years of riding. I'm sure the HD and other brands mentioned here are superior quality and work great, but an anvil is an anvil, whether you buy it from craftsman or harbor freight

Old 05-29-2009, 07:00 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PiedPiper
here's how I look at at. riding in any serious rain is something your gonna do as little as possible, so why spend a fortune on it. I go to the walmart sporting goods seciton and buy a 2-piece rainsuit. they come with elastic waist and wrist bands and have always done the job for me. that's all I've ever used in all my years of riding. I'm sure the HD and other brands mentioned here are superior quality and work great, but an anvil is an anvil, whether you buy it from craftsman or harbor freight
I agree to a point. For most folks, the Wally World cheap stuff is more than enough. Frogg Toggs are not "cheap" and are fantastic. BUT, if you are on a serious long haul run or your bike is your only ride... get some good Motorcycle Specific stuff.

Tour Master, Aerostich, etc. Something that is made for a bike. Heat shielded legs so you don't melt on the pipes. Cinches and straps so it does not flap. A neck that is made to keep the rain out on a bike.

Harley rain gear is GREAT, but you will pay quite a bit more for the same quality stuff because it says HARLEY...

Old 05-29-2009, 07:05 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Frogg Toggs seem to be the best alternative. Packable and breathable, and I've never heard a complaint about their ability to keep water off of the rider.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley rain gear will do a great job. And leather is not good for heavy rain.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:18 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

We have the HD raingear the orange ones. Very comfortable. Also very visable. We have worn because of the wind. They do an excellent job. The orange works well also because of the reflective quality you can wear it at night to be seen better.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:12 AM
hincheec
Cruiser

Doesn't matter what you buy, the first time you need it will be the day you dont have it.

I use military issue rain gear, because that is what I had.... I am wanting to upgrade...

Old 05-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by PiedPiper
here's how I look at at. riding in any serious rain is something your gonna do as little as possible, so why spend a fortune on it.
Originally Posted by ChiefGator
I agree to a point...
I'm with Gator. If all you're concerned about is a 30 mile commute, you can probably get by with non motorcycle raingear. And what your 'dress code' is at your work, also can matter. Especially when it comes to footwear.

However, for any serious riding in the rain: Spend the money and get a good, high quality two piece rain suit with bib pants. I have one I bought almost 15 years ago at a 'dealer's tent sale' outside the York factory. Then rode seven hours in rain wearing it on the way home. That's when I learned that waterproof boots aren't necessarily waterproof after a few hours at 70mph. A pair of Totes slipon's now insure my feet are dry. And warm.

Suits designed for motorcyclist will have reflective material, and heat shields sewn into them. They also will have stirups for your boots/shoes, whcih will keep the legs from creeping up.

My entire rain gear folds into a small 9x9x3 inch package. This includes my gauntlet length rubber gloves, cotton 'work glove' liners, Totes pullover boots, and clear safety glasses. My wife's gear is similar. This gear has been 'road tested' and 'proven' to keep us dry, and I'm talking about hours of riding in rain that varied from misting to downpours. When we travel it's on the top of the 'high side' saddlebag where it's easy to get to.

'cause ya never know when it's gonna rain. Or when you're five hours from your destination.

Quick Reply: Rain Gear Advice