General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo 550, or 660?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:50 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 550 and have no issues with it.

I do have a phone or headset issue, as my original phone worked flawlessly with Bluetooth and 550 and Scala Q2 headset, But,

My new phone, the latest Motorola Razor, allows me to hear and answer and incoming call, but the other pary cannot make out what I am saying.

I don't think the 550 is the culprit.

I can hear clearly all commands from the 550 on my Q2 headset, although I do wear a modular helmet while on a long tour for ear comfort, (wind blast)

Old 05-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Morphius
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RG-LEE
Does anyone know if the AMA is still offering 20% off on the Zumo 660?
WOW!!! I need more info please . First who is AMA? then do they have any 20%. I like to know as well. Thanks

Old 05-31-2009, 04:37 PM
togfish
Tourer

Originally Posted by RG-LEE
Does anyone know if the AMA is still offering 20% off on the Zumo 660?
There is a link to Garmin on the AMA site (member benefits) that shows members discounts.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:40 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Morphius
WOW!!! I need more info please . First who is AMA? then do they have any 20%. I like to know as well. Thanks
American Motorcyclist Association. Great organization for the rights of motorcyclists. WELL worth the $39 mbshp fee...not to mention the other benefits (free roadside assistance if you sign up for membership auto renewal, magazine, various discounts, etc)

http://www.ama-cycle.org/

Old 05-31-2009, 07:16 PM
monstead
Club Member

I have BOTH units and while I haven't set up the 660 on the bike yet since I need to have it hardwired for that (grrrr!) and the 550 cradle/setup isn't compatible w/ the 660, I will tell you just from playing around with it, I'm going to prefer the 660.

FWIW, I had no issues syncing the 660 to my iPhone and have played around with it w/ no issues. Have not synced it to the Scala Headset yet.

Here's my setup:
'09 RKC
Powerlet Handlebar Mount hardwired to battery (Zumo 550) http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...ts-gadgets/350
Scala Q2 Multiset (bluetooth headset) to hear Zumo/Phone
Apple iPhone (1st generation) EDIT: got the new 3GS and synced w/ no issues.

This week, I will be having the 660 cradle hardwired through headlight or to battery - not sure which yet. Will use my existing Powerlet mount to attach the cradle to the bike, but can't use the powerlet plug with the 660 because of the redesign (grrrr!!). Since the power cable/audio cables are hardwired to the cradle, there is no option to purchase a separate removable cable with a cigarette lighter/plug end (like on the 550) - the cradle must be hardwired to the bike. I do not like this!

The 660 screen is larger and is a bit more user friendly...less button pushing getting around the unit. Not that the 550 screen is shabby, but after playing around with the 660, I already appreciate the wider screen. There is an internal speaker built-in, unlike on the 550, of course, haven't tried to hear it yet over the roar of the pipes and wind.

EDIT: You cannot hear the 660's internal speaker while riding...put it on the bike this evening and I could not hear the Zumo 660 at all while riding. I could hear the music while idling at traffic lights. I have V&H Ovals...louder than stock, but not the loudest pipes either.

There does seem to be more internal memory on the 660 (documentation doesn't say how much) since I've not had any issue downloading numerous routes. Ran into that on the 550...as did a friend with one. Of course, both use external memory cards to get around running out of internal memory for music, pictures, routes and other stuff. The 550 uses the popular SD card...the 660 uses the tiny and not as readily available MicroSD card.

EDIT: Hate the tiny MicroSD card on the 660! It's real thin...like a fingernail & hard to handle, even with my "delicate girl hands" . I actually broke mine putting the battery back in - the card sticks out and you need to push it in the slot with the battery to keep it seated. If you push the battery down on top of it (like I did & didn't realize until the middle of a ride) - snap! An extremely poor design.
ALSO, the 660 allows you to have less routes saved to memory than the 550...10 versus 20 I believe. Of course, you can use the memory card if you want more.

I prefer the hard-wiring setup of the 550. The 550 cables plug into the cradle and can be easily be removed...allowing you to remove the cradle from the bike (looks cleaner if you aren't using the Zumo). The 660 Cables are hardwired into the cradle, so you will need to leave the cradle on the bike. Not so pretty. Not to mention, there are 3 cables hanging off the main cable - 2 for audio out and 1 for the optional Traffic Transmitter. Not so pretty again...messy looking IMO. I know you're thinking...you can just run it on battery power...well, battery life isn't so great...something like 2 - 4 hrs. People on the Zumo Forums are finding themselves hard-wiring the unit to the bike because of this.

550 has XM capabilities - 660 does not. I think this is a bigger issue to those of us who do not have radios on our bikes (duh!) since most radios have satellite tuners built in. BUT, if you plan on streaming the Zumo's audio to a bluetooth headset, you'll be disappointed with the sound quality of the 550 and IMO, XM would be a waste of $$. If you plan on using a wired headset, then the sound quality won't be an issue, so the 550 w/XM might be the better way to go.

550 does NOT use A2DP technology...660 DOES. A2DP is essentially the capability to stream audio in stereo to your bluetooth headset (correct me if I'm wrong!). Of course, the headset needs to be stereo. So, if you do not have your Zumo hooked into an external speaker source, the fidelity quality will suck a) if you do not have a bluetooth stereo headset or, b) if you do, but have the 550. I do occasionally use my 550 to listen to music through my Scala headsets, but the quality is dismal. Better than nothing though. (Remember, the 660 has its own internal speaker...seems like it'd be okay for low speed stuff). This is a big deal to me and many others. My headsets are mono, but Scala is coming out with a new version, the Scalar Rider - G4 http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Rider-G4.aspx Who knows when it'll be available, but I'll be getting myself 1 when I can. Again, this is a bigger deal to those of us who do not have speakers on our bikes. BTW...I read on the Zumo Forums, some 660 users perceive the sound quality to be a bit better (when using wired earphones) than with the 550.

660 uses "lane assist"...this tells you what lane to be in when coming up to a turn and will be a welcome addition when on cloverleafs/mix-masters and the like. This was a big selling feature for me.

EDIT: 660 has "speed limit indicator" on most roads...550 does not. This will be a welcome addition as I sometimes find myself on a road not knowing the speed limit (guess I don't always pay attention to the signs). Speed limit indicator is not always accurate...I was on a 45 mph road and Zumo told me speed limit was 55. Oh well!

One issue I have had with the 550 that drives me crazy...sometimes the Zumo bluetooth just doesn't sync up with my Scala. I have figured out that I need to disable bluetooth...turn everything off and restart everything. A real PITA if you're trying to get on the road, and esp if you are riding with other people! This is not a consistent problem...I just haven't been able to figure out what triggers it. I think, though, it has something to do with the iPhone as it seems to happen when it's on. I am not big on riding and talking on the cell, so I just disable bluetooth on the cell and seem to have less issues. Neither Zumo nor Scala offered much insight on that. I really like having the GPS talk the directions to me since I don't like looking at the screen a lot...not very safe IMO. It's a real pain when the bluetooth is acting up. Again...I think it's the cell phone, but can't be sure.

I will say this...when I have used the phone while riding, it's SWEET...no one can even tell I'm on a bike (credit the Scala)....I can operate the phone through the Zumo and see who's calling if a call comes in. Much easier when wearing gloves. The phonebook info downloads right to the Zumo & stays there even if the phone is not connected. I was hoping address info was downloaded to the Zumo (it isn't) so I could navigate to a contact through the Zumo w/o having to re-enter the address info and it does not appear to be an option. Sure would be nice, but oh well!

Once complaint on the Zumo forums about the 660 is the maps do not show city names (when zooming out). I just checked both Zumos and zoomed WAY out and it was showing city names on the 550 and the 660. Still, though, I've wanted the city names in closer in situations and it's a PITA not having them there. I have the updated software and the Map Update (2010) on both. I will also point out...it seems, to my eyes at least, the screen on the 660 is easier to read. I'm guessing it's higher res. Not that I had any complaints about the 550 screen.

EDIT: Paired the 660 to my Scala headset and new iPhone with no problems. Haven't used it extensively, but I have high hopes!

If the XM is high on your priority...then get the 550...if not...get the 660. Either way, they're great.

EDIT: I figured out a way to use the car mount cradle and mount it to the bike. It's "sorta" okay, but not perfect (yet).
I used the Car Cradle that came with the 660, modified the cigarette lighter plug by replacing the cig end with a Powerlet plug (I have a powerlet socket on the bike already). I found, for $20 at Best Buy, a GPS window mount Kit that came with a Garmin adapter. The Garmin adapter is a little gizmo that has the regular 1" RAM ball on one end and the ball size that snaps into the car cradle on the other. I saw this and realized I could attach the 1" ball to my RAM/Powerlet mount's 1" ball with the RAM Arm and then could just snap the small ball into the car mount.

After I modified the cigarette charger cord, I pluged one end of the the modified Garmin power cord into the car cradle and the other into the Powerlet. It actually worked!

Issue I had was with the small ball. Unlike the typical RAM mount, there is no way to tighten the small ball in the car cradle since you merely snap the ball into the female part of the cradle...in other words...I had no way of fixing the position of the Zumo 660 since the ball just snaps into the mount as opposed to using the ram mount thingy to tighten it. Capish? This means the weight of the zumo keeps it at a less than optimal viewing angle...not to mention, the Zumo was moving around a bit. Unless RAM sells that particular sized ball and/or one could be fabricated, I do not see how to fix that issue aside from using glue, and I'm not wanting to do that.

EDIT after using 660 for awhile:
I like the 660 as far as the screen and overall ease of use. The 660 has frozen up on me about 5 times. Had some of the same syncing issues with my Scala and phone, but not as much as I had on the 550.
One of the most appealing features, lane-assist, has rarely kicked in...I think only a couple of times. It seems to only work on major Interstates and not highways and freeways.
Don't think the 660 would be worth your while if you have a 550 and don't have money burning a hole in your pocket.
Still, I give it an edge over the 550 because of the screen size and a few of the other features. If I was getting one for the first time, I'd get the 660. I use it so often, I can't imagine not having it. I like not having to pull over to read maps to navigate. Recently took a ride exploring various roads around Santa Fe and when I was ready to go back, I just hit "go home" and let the Zumo figure it out. Nice!

Attached Thumbnails Zumo 550, or 660?-img_0220sm.jpg   Zumo 550, or 660?-img_0230sm.jpg   Zumo 550, or 660?-img_0232sm.jpg  

Last edited by monstead; 07-27-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: connected Zumo to bike & have new info/add pics
Old 05-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Morphius
Intermediate

That is a very nice and interesting post.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:21 AM
dan_tominovich
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The AMA discount is down to 16%. They told me that they were giving 20% to the dealers and that we could not have the same deal. So, it cost's about $40 more since the change.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 AM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Monstead... thanks for the great write up and comparison of the two units. I may have to rethink my purchase plans.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:18 AM
houndawgg
Tourer

Great post Monstead.
If you don't have a 550 or 660 yet, I highly recommend joining the Zumo forum:
http://www.zumoforums.com/
I have a 550 and will probably stick with it for this season, the 660 has some nice features, but my income level, doesn't warrant me upgrading, so soon.
The easier switching from mapping to MP3 mode, on the 660 is the one I like most.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 PM
monstead
Club Member

Thanks for the comments guys...hope this helps...I edited the review to add a couple of pics and make comments on using it on a very short ride.

I did join the Zumo Forums awhile back, but haven't used it much until recently...great source of information. I've never posted there though.

Quick Reply: Zumo 550, or 660?