General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROT and City of Austin Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:13 PM
HarleyDawg
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ROT and City of Austin Helmet Law

I just read this on another site:

As of Monday this week (May 15) the City of Austin has become Biker Unfriendly by enacting the Helmet Law. They are pulling over and issuing tickets to all bikers not wearing helmets. If you have the sticker on your plates then they let you slide but are making all others go to court and prove the have the qualifications to go w/o their helmet, IE over 21 and having $10,000 in PIP on their insurance which isn't listed on the card, or have attended motorcycle classes.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:30 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Also

Austin police begin a campaign today where they will be enforcing the
ticketing of unsafe and aggressive drivers. Some examples are following
too close, changing lanes erratically, and aggressive speeds and actions.

Heads Up for those heading to Austin this weekend.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyDawg
I just read this on another site:

As of Monday this week (May 15) the City of Austin has become Biker Unfriendly by enacting the Helmet Law. They are pulling over and issuing tickets to all bikers not wearing helmets. If you have the sticker on your plates then they let you slide but are making all others go to court and prove the have the qualifications to go w/o their helmet, IE over 21 and having $10,000 in PIP on their insurance which isn't listed on the card, or have attended motorcycle classes.
Houston has been doing this for months... Since January, if not before.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As of Monday this week (May 15) the City of Austin has become Biker Unfriendly by enacting the Helmet Law.
Actually, they're only enforcing existing laws. Nothing new has been passed or enacted.

If you have the sticker on your plates then they let you slide
As they should.

but are making all others go to court and prove the have the qualifications to go w/o their helmet, IE over 21 and having $10,000 in PIP on their insurance which isn't listed on the card, or have attended motorcycle classes.
If you don't have the $5 sticker on your plate, just carry the needed proof...the insurance or MSF course...simple enough.

I mean, I see your point and all about complaining...but really, they're just enforcing the law. Get the $5 sticker or carry the required proof and be done with it.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my 3rd $5 sticker,only had to pay for 2 though.

In all cases,they were pleasant to deal with and got them within 2 weeks.

Why do people want to go thru the problems associated with not having one while riding without a helmet.
Just a whole lot easier to just get the sticker. IMHO.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 PM
tejasrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is from the Texas DPS website, if Austin or any other city is ticketing if you don't have the sticker, they are bypassing state law. I have no idea if a city jurisdiction has the power to do this or not;

2. Is the helmet exemption sticker required before a motorcyclist can ride without a helmet?

No. The sticker indicates that the motorcyclist meets the requirement for riding without a helmet, and law enforcement officers will presume that they do. Without the sticker motorcyclists may be requested to show police officers their proof of course completion or insurance coverage.

3. Where are helmet exemption sticker applications available?
Helmet exemption sticker applications are available at most Driver License Offices, from the Motorcycle Safety Unit (1-800-292-5787) or by downloading it from the Motorcycle Safety Unit’s web page (www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb).

4. Which course must motorcyclists take to qualify for the helmet exemption sticker?
The basic and/or the advanced motorcycle operator training course meet the requirement for helmet exemption.

6. What constitutes proof of course completion?
A Department of Public Safety, Motorcycle Operator Training Course Completion Card, MSB-8 or a completion card from a motorcycle safety course meeting or exceeding Motorcycle Safety Foundations standards.

7. Does the insurance card have to state that the insurance affords benefits of at least $10,000 for injuries incurred as a result of a motorcycle accident?

No. Major health insurance plans almost always provide at least $10,000 coverage, generally more. Moreover, the Department’s administrative rules do not require the insurance card to display the amount of policy coverage. Therefore, an insurance card such as provided by an employer, group health insurance company (HMO/PPO), the Veterans Administration, Medicare or Medicaid, is prima facie proof that the coverage meets statutory requirements and is satisfactory proof of the required coverage. Insurance cards for life insurance policies, cancer only policies, or accidental death and dismemberment policies do not meet the health insurance plan requirement as they have a more narrow coverage than is required by the statute.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:42 PM
deni
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing new, my wife got bird dogged 3-4 months ago in front of Cowboy Harley. Reason for stop: Safety Check ie. bull ****

Thing is they're hammering down on I35 during daylight hours. Heaven forbid you're a trucker. There is a TX helmet law of sorts.

Stupid $5 sticker: I think it will soon be a distant memory.

Trending Topics

Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 PM
HarleyDawg
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
Actually, they're only enforcing existing laws. Nothing new has been passed or enacted.

As they should.

If you don't have the $5 sticker on your plate, just carry the needed proof...the insurance or MSF course...simple enough.

I mean, I see your point and all about complaining...but really, they're just enforcing the law. Get the $5 sticker or carry the required proof and be done with it.

I wasn't complaining, I was just passing the info on.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just more stupid crap but not a problem----have plenty of insurance, with proof to go with my smartass attitude if I choose not to wear a helmet. I would be ashamed to be that chickensh-t to have to use that as an excuse to pull over a rider.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

If you have the typical employer-provided insurance card, carry it. If a cop writes you after you show him the card, you have the them by the *****. This one has been through the system several times, and it has always come down that the cops can't ticket you if you have the card. The big city lawyers know this and still allow the local cops to screw riders over. It's all about the money; they hope you'll just cave and mail 'em the fine instead of showing up in court where they know they'll lose. Chances are the cop writing the ticket won't even show 'cause he might be in for an *** reaming from the judge. Feel free to join TMRA, TMRA2, or your CoC/COIR and help stand for your rights.

And I refuse to pay 'em $5 for a sticker; fish 'em!

Quick Reply: ROT and City of Austin Helmet Law