General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Glide vs Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Metal4God
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electra Glide vs Street Glide

I am thinking of selling my Softail custom and getting a touring bike, Can anyone tell me the differences between the Electra Glide and the Street glide?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:55 AM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain

To start the street glide has a clean front fender. What i mean is it doesnt have a light on the tip of fender. The street glide comes with mirrors mounted on the inner fairing. The electra glide has mirrors mounted to the handle bars. Street glide has a lower windsheild. Street glide comes with different floor boards and brake pad. Saddle bag latch matches the color of the bike where the electra glide has chrome. Street glide is also lowered in the back. Street glide just has a sporter look for a bagger. Thats why iam on my second sreet glide. All depends on what you are looking for. Tim

Old 06-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I demo'ed all the new touring rigs. I enjoyed the Street Glide the best and would (will?) purchase one in the future. However, for the money, the standard Electra Glide is a good bargain. Since it's not lowered in the rear like the SG, I imagine it would handle pavement irregularities better due to more suspension travel.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:53 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The new bikes sit too high for me,it would have to be a street glide I guess for me,but with the other crap going on with them I would just as soon keep my old one,I have rethunk my stance of buying new,better to make a good buy used,make it what you want it to be,less bull.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Lt James
Tourer

If I had to do it over again, I'd buy and Ultra, and just modify it to look how I wanted. Instead I bought a StreetGlide and end up making it into an Ultra with removable luggage with less goodies. Cheaper to do it the other way around.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt James
If I had to do it over again, I'd buy and Ultra, and just modify it to look how I wanted. Instead I bought a StreetGlide and end up making it into an Ultra with removable luggage with less goodies. Cheaper to do it the other way around.
I agree. I bought a Standard and more or less have turned it into a Street Glide (ironically most of it before the SG even became an option!) I had the chance to buy a Classic at the same time for a little bit more, but thought the blank canvas was a better idea. It would've been cheaper in the long run to have started with the Classic. (Not to mention the Classic and SG are priced pretty close MSRP.)

The windshield, mirrors, color coded saddlebag handles, and even the replacement of the shocks (and possibly the gauges if you want the silver ones) is cheaper than the changes to add on items like cruise control and the tour pak.

Last edited by Cryptoboy; 06-11-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 AM
SteveRindge
Intermediate

I agree with the other comments. IMHO, it depends on whether you plan to do a lot of longer trips. If so, then the EG would be better. I have a EG Classic and put in a detachable tourpak kit. Unless I am taking a multi-day trip, I keep the tour-pak off the bike and really like the look (and feel).
On the other hand, if you don't plan on multi-day trips, the SG is a sleeker look, mainly because it has been lowered.
Both are great bikes..

Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Metal4God
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input, I really like my FXSTC. And would love to be able to keep it and make it a show bike and have a touring bike also, but thats not an option . I am looking for a little more comfort for myself and passenger without losing to much cool factor, I doubt I will ever make any cross country trips, so An Ultra would be a bit much I think, so I am just trying to decide between the Street and Electra. Sounds like either one would be Ideal.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:06 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I traded my Softail custom in for a 09 EG standard lowered it 3" but still could not get comfortable.I would go test ride some both bikes you are thinking of buying.After 1800 mi I went a bought a 09 Fatboy because that fits me better and the kind of riding I do,not downing the baggers just not for me

Old 06-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by RHillbilly
I traded my Softail custom in for a 09 EG standard lowered it 3" but still could not get comfortable.I would go test ride some both bikes you are thinking of buying.After 1800 mi I went a bought a 09 Fatboy because that fits me better and the kind of riding I do,not downing the baggers just not for me
Wow that's a first! So how did the Fatboy fit better than the EG Standard? Not trying to bag you, really curious! (Not that the FB is an uncomfortable ride by any means!)

Quick Reply: Electra Glide vs Street Glide