General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wifes first bike new rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:56 AM
99superglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wifes first bike new rider

I bought the wife a 1200 custom and she goes for the basic riders course next week to get either her license / permit. I told her last night that once she gets that we'll go find a big parking lot so she can get familiar with the operation of her new bike. The course she's taking is one day classroom and one day hands on riding. I am concerned for her safety but she's dreamed about riding her own bike for years now so it's hard to keep her anticipation in check. She's a little stubborn too, imagine that. I'm sure many of you have been thru this situation with your wives so how do you make them understand that just because they have ridden the little 250 rebel at the riders course does not neccessarily mean they are good to go and hit the road on a 1200 sporty? She says we'll just stick to back roads at first but I like the parking lot idea much better.
Currently I'm just giving her all the tips I can think of that have kept me safe for the past 27 years of street riding.
I've ridden the sporty quite a bit lately and it is a blast to ride. I think much easier to handle than my FXD. I guess I'm probably more nervous than she is but it's gonna be a lot of fun to go riding together.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:09 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

I had a 1200 Custom. I started on a Honda 450. There is a very big difference. Also that the parking lot idea is an excellent idea to get her used to the difference in the weight of the bike and the handling. I used Clay Targets to outline a course. Easy to carry and if you ran over them so what. Just a little, because you only need to know how the bike handles. What I found out is how to learn how the bike reacts to different road conditions and types. Black top, concrete. You will not get that in the parking lot. It is the miles that you put on the road, that make you a better rider. Not the hours you spent in the parking lot. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear.

The Sporty is much more top heavy then her Rebel. Which makes it easier to lay down. She should learn to pick it up by herself.

My hubby is always nervous with me and this will be my 5th riding season and I have almost 25K on my butt. You will also be nervous. That goes with the territory. DON’T HOVER.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:15 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

She'll figure that out soon enough once she gets on teh 1200. Mu wife started on an 883l after the MSF course and was scared of all the power the 883 had compared to those 250's they used in the class. We practiced in a parking lot for several days until she felt that she was comfotable and when she was we took it slow. We went during off hours in the beginning, either at night, or late sunday afternoon and I think that helped too. To this date, she has done great and had not wrecks and it has been nearly 2 years. Take it slow and let her move at her own pace.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Vatorman
Tourer

I have a Yami VStar 1100 as her first bike. She takes her test tomorrow night. So far she has done really well on the Yamaha. The 250 should be a breeze after riding a big bike. We also did a lot of parking lot practice. Found some cheap cones for a couple of bucks.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:07 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a question or were you making an announcement?

Congrats on the wife riding. I taught my wife to ride when she was almost fifty. She's now been riding 5 years and loving every minute of it. And you are correct that she will make your best riding buddy ever.

I took the MSF course years ago and found it to be a joke. So I taught my wife, it takes patience. We did take the experienced riders course for insurance purposes and this we enjoyed.

If you haven't, get the Ride Like a Pro dvd. It contains a lot of good excersise and will make her a better rider. I like the idea of clay targets. We cut tennis ***** in half.

Have fun - Ride safe

ps. Don't get upset when she drops the bike and she will.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by H20DOG
.......What I found out is how to learn how the bike reacts to different road conditions and types. Black top, concrete. You will not get that in the parking lot. It is the miles that you put on the road, that make you a better rider. Not the hours you spent in the parking lot. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear. .....
I never did do the parking lot thing so I agree with your comment. I pretty much went from the MSF course to the road. For many the parking lot experience is helpful, but I, and my hubby agreed, felt that getting out on the road into REAL situations was the best route. Of course we did the less traveled roads at first. Hubby always road first and I followed because I did NOT feel comfortable having someone watching me every second. So he chose routes that would give me various "lessons". Traffic (lights, turns, etc), twisty turnies (easy ones at first), highway, and the dreaded "Stop on a hill", which they just can't/don't teach you in the MSF course. This worked for me.

At first my hubby was nervous, and I'm not sure all that happy about my decision to ride my own. Now he LOVES that I do. But he will never stop worrying about me when I am out on my own, this I know for sure.

Good luck to you both!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This could get me in trouble here. Take charge. Be fair and impartial. Follow your plan--go to a parking lot. You watch her skills--decided if she is ready for a back road and all possible hazards. Move on to other challenges as she matures as a rider. Too many new riders mess up badly early and get hurt or killed and never ride again. A lot of the people on here grew up riding as kids. I did. Doesn't necessarily make us better riders but it does give us skills. As a kid I pushed the limits and put the bikes in lots of different situations--those skills carry over into bike handling as an adult. Most likely all this is a waste of typing. With you posing this question here it sounds like she will get her way unless this is you looking for support to your position.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
sho_tym
Intermediate

My wife is taking the course in about a month and I have the same concerns. She wants to go with a 1200 instead of a smaller bike. I like the idea of parking lot exercises with cones/clays, etc..

Old 06-24-2009, 09:48 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like sportsters but not as a beginner bike unless you buy the bike for fit. HD has improved sportster fit and comfort but it is still a sportster. A lot of women start on a sportster and the sportster has improved but it is not the most comfortable bike. I see a lot of women outgrow their sportsters fast and then you are looking at trading up or selling. Eventually they will ride with a group --be it two more bikes or a hundred and making some miles. Some people can ride seven hundred miles in a day on a sportster but a lot can't. A long , hard ,trip at highway speeds can test some riders on smaller bikes keeping up with cruisers. JMO on sportsters as first bikes.

Last edited by oldairboater; 06-24-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 AM
kmac89
Tourer

My OL took the class beginning of May.Got her a Rebel ( she thought she would feel more comfortable in the class if she understond the basic of a bike before class????) We started on the front lawn,just getting releasing the clutch and knowing the power of twisting the throtlle from there we went to the parking lot to work on her handeling the bike at slow speeds,from there we went around our lake which is about 3 miles round and a speed limit of 25,we would go around about 6 or 7 times we did this a couple of times,it was great for her to get the shifting down and road condition on a smaller scale,when she was bored with that we got out on one of the main road with a speed limit of 50 and some great twist,we have been doing this run a couple of times,it's about 25 miles total run and she is doing great.She is already bored and is looking to upgrade,I thought that woud happen next year but she's almost ready,she's looking at the Street Bob.
All I know is this was and is best for her and yes I am very nervous but think the rewarded are going to outstanding

Quick Reply: wifes first bike new rider