General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Connection

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:05 AM
gregski
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Battery Tender Connection

The wife injured her shoulder last month and required surgery so her riding season is over. I've already changed all the fluids, cleaned up the bike and covered it up in the garage. Because it is going to be sitting for 4-6 months, I've decided to put the battery on a tender. Her bike is set up to be used with Gerbing heated gear, so the original SAE connector has been replaced by a coax type. My question is whether it is safe to put the mating coax on the tender for charging. Can't see why it would be a problem, but thought I would check with those here that are MUCH more knowledgable than me. Last thing I need to do is burn her bike to the ground.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gerbing connector has burn up before on a day long ride.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

A tender connector at a dealership is about 8 bucks. It's OK to run both kinds, I do. If her bike has an alarm system that is an '07 or newer with the "Auto Fob" it will drain the battery in a few months.

The tender connector is larger/thicker and made for constant overnight connections and will not get warm during the charging process and be sure to put the tender on something that will not catch fire as it gets very warm.

It is best to put the ground connection to the frame where the other ground wires are. Just a bit easier to install and if you ever have to use the tender connection for a Dyno testing device power you don't have to move it later.

Hope your wife is feeling OK.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:50 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your wife, hope she gets better for next year riding season.

I have also heard the coax type connectors get hot. Not sure if they would with the "trickle" amount being put out with the tender or not. I don't think I'd take the chance.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's to the wife's recovery. Hope she is recupeing, just fine. She STILL can make a sammich, can't she??? Price of live in maids, is gettin' outta reach for some of us.

Yep, the coax is gonna get 'warm'. BUT the heated gear, pulls WAY MORE amperage, than your tender will EVER be able to put out, even if it goes "South".

BUT that said, jus' pick up the actual connector for the Tender. And hard wire it in, as usual.

IF you didn't already, add some stabilizing agent to the gas. I just use Sea Foam. Does the same as Sta-bil, just better, IMFUO. It has cleaners, etc, keeps the 'slime' from forming, with these 'new' gases. I run mine, to make sure, it gets INTO the whole system, before laying 'em up. Also, if possible, store it 'off' the floor. NOT a must, just a 'nicety'.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:58 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 362 Posts

I just hooked the supplied plug that came w/ the tender to the batt. and hung it out anove the oil tank. You can't see it unless you squat down and look for it.