General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOKA HEY...."a good day to die"

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:36 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
You guys put too much emphasis on HD years. Yeah the 2010's may be out but my calendar says this is August 2009.....

Okay, keep the thread open, and ban RollaMo!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 454 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Okay, keep the thread open, and ban RollaMo!
Hey now, I fessed up to my mistake.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:55 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,223 Likes on 4,773 Posts

I sent the OL an email and told her I want to do it. I'm gonna fly home in a few days for a couple of weeks. I figure by the time I'm ready to come back out here on the road I should have her OK on it.

Only reason I'm needing her to agree is because of the High entry fee.

I'm old but I ain't wore out yet. I don't think I got enough left in me to finish near the top but I know I got more than enough to finish. Besides, it will be a good excuse to back to Alaska.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,258 Likes on 7,048 Posts

Well in my original post I said this was "CRAZY" and while I stand by that comment I guess I am just crazy enough to find the appeal in something like this.

I am very interested in being a part of this. I have never really challenged myself and think this would definitely be the ultimate. After reading the entire website front to back I am actually considering doing this more to just challenge myself and be a part of it rather than actually try and kill myself winning the prize.

I would love to hear back from some of you on what you think is actually required to make something like this happen. Here is a list that I have started thinking about.

1) Planning for the time off. I see it as you would need at least four weeks for the entire trip. Travel to Key West and be rested up, then two for the trip (or less hopefully) then one week back home, plus or minus a few days.

2) Working out and getting in your best physical shape.

3) Having your bike in tip top condition. Learning normal maintenance including tire repair and belt replacement as well as having the necessary parts and tools within reason.

4) $$$$$$$ $1000.00 to enter, $1,050.00 for fuel at 40 MPG round trip, Food, Misc, etc, etc. I would say that $5K would be needed to really make it happen start to finish without any unforeseen mechanical failures.

5) Support group and sponsors?

6) Safety? That is a big concern for me and one of the reasons that I would think it would be foolish to try for the big money out front. You could easily disappear up in Canada or Alaska by yourself if someone wanted the $$$ bad enough.

Not knowing the actual route makes it even more challenging. It will be hard to get far away from food and gas here in the U.S. but I bet they can make it very difficult over the border. I ran 851 miles last Tuesday by myself but that was all interstate. On the secondary roads it will be much harder to make the miles.

Any feedback, thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 08-07-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:02 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
I would love to hear back from some of you on what you think is actually required to make something like this happen. Here is a list that I have started thinking about.

1) Planning for the time off. I see it as you would need at least four weeks to arrive in Key West and be rested up, then two for the trip (or less hopefully) then one week back home.

Any feedback, thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

It's going to take you 4 weeks to get from North Carolina, to Key West? Then only a week to get back home from Alaska???

Old 08-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

It's going to take you 4 weeks to get from North Carolina, to Key West? Then only a week to get back home from Alaska???
I did not word that well. I meant four weeks total for the entire trip.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sponser me i'll do it.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:22 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
I did not word that well. I meant four weeks total for the entire trip.

I suspected that, or you were actually going to lounge around the beach for a few weeks and not tell the wife.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:29 PM
dusty2221
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I would do it if I could get enough sponsorship to pay for the majority of the trip. I'd ride ***** out, which might end up biting me in the ***, but there is only one way to win....

Old 08-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

I suspected that, or you were actually going to lounge around the beach for a few weeks and not tell the wife.
LOL

Those beaches in Key West are not for me if you know what I mean!

Quick Reply: HOKA HEY...."a good day to die"