General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All the performance in the world

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 04:08 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default All the performance in the world

All the performance in the world is what I have with this new (used) rocket I just bought last week. I've already posted on this, and thankfully, most people on this board are pretty open minded about motorcycles and have an appreciation for all bikes (while still being partial to our Harleys). So if you want to slam me about buying a ricer, go find my previous thread.

That said, I've spent the last week sort of neglecting my pride and joy (06 FXDWG)...I've already put a couple of hundred miles on this new bike...a 99 Yamaha YZF 600R. I guess whenever I get something new, I tend to pay more attention to it...I get excited when I have a new toy..and I would imagine I'm not the only one who behaves this way.

So back to the point of my post...I've had some interesting experiences since getting my new ricer. The first I would like to share regards a fellow Harley rider who I tend to pass quite often when riding around the local neighborhoods. I see this guy quite often when I go riding, and although I have never stopped and talked to him, he always passes me by and throws me a friendly wave. So when I got my new ride, I was out enjoying this new toy when there he was...And without even thinking about it I threw him the same wave I always do...and sure enough..no wave back. Now I'm the same damn guy just on a different bike...and all of a sudden, he doesn't want to acknowledge me. Needless to say, I got back a little bit later and went out for a ride on my Harley. Sure enough, we crossed paths again..this time a big friendly smile and a wave. Guess what..f**k him. No more waves from me. I don't have much respect for a guy who will completely blow off a fellow biker just because he doesn't like what I'm riding.

That was on the first day of having this new bike. That same day and the few days following, I spent a lot of time riding. I have to admit...it's so ridiculously fast I can't even bring it up to it's power peak. I'm at 60 in what seems like 2 seconds. I see a lot of guys spending all kinds of money on their harleys to make them fast....sometimes 15-20 grand to make their bike a 10 second bike. Well folks...you can have a ten second bike for under 3 grand...and it'll corner way better than anything with Screamin Eagle parts. So be it. I understand people like working on their bikes...and like making them go faster...and if it's your passion to make a Harley do that, good for you man...I wish I had the technical know-how (and the cash).

Finally, I just want to mention that the riding experience on a "crotch rocket" is just so much different. I'm sure that other ricer owners can agree with me. The controls are so light, and the power delivery is so smooth and easy...turning is without any effort whatsoever, and the weight of the bike alone makes it feel like you can pick it up and throw it. And yet despite this, I really feel like riding this thing is just a lot more work. It just feels like I'm doing so much more to make this bike do what I want it to....and I'm holding on for dear life

I guess the best part of having this new toy, other than the fact that it's just insanely fast and a real hoot to ride through the back roads, it makes me want to ride my Harley even more. After spending a couple hours on a rocket, I can't wait to start up my harley, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.
I like having the choice, but I could live without the plastic bike...I couldn't live without my Harley.

Just felt like sharing tonight.

Todd

Old 06-02-2006, 04:26 AM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Default RE: All the performance in the world

Hey Dude if it makes you feel good, just do it ! Thats all that matters ....... ever do any knee dragging in the corners ? Just ride safe ! Steve from Az.[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 06-02-2006, 04:43 AM
thebigbuckster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds to me that you are going through the same issues that a bi-sexual might go through...on one hand he likes chicks...on the other hand he likes jappy crap?

Old 06-02-2006, 05:43 AM
Tonyp
Advanced

Enjoy your new ride, I have a '01 Yamaha R1 and understand what riding a sportbike is like. I like all bikes.

Narrowmindedness is for the weak.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:38 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[sm=biker.gif] Enjoy the moment no matter what or who you're on.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:16 AM
MOking
Tourer

I'd like a ricer too, but my wife knows I'd rack up tickets all over the place. There really is no comparision between a ricer and a Harley. The only thing they have in common is having 2 wheels.

Unfortunately, the two types of bikes have very different families/cultures surronding them.

What kills me is all the guys on here that complain about neighbors and other drivers not respecting bikes, noise, lifestyle. Then 2/3 of those guys complaining refer to any non-Harley as Jappy-Crap. Tons of hypocrites out there.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Fred00
Road Captain

I know what you're talking about. I have ridden a Honda 599, and flicking it around in the twisties was easier than I'd ever imagined it would be. I don't think people who have never ridden one can imagine the handling. I guess it's one of those "if I had to explain you wouldn't understand" things.

Enjoy the ride and keep waving at everybody!

Old 06-02-2006, 09:53 AM
recross
Tourer

My wife and I have several different kinds of rides......'94-HD/EGC....'02-BMW/K1200RS.........'02-Goldwing.......'03-Kawa-ZZR1200..
A wide spectrum of different rides...best so to speak of both worlds......Yup some people wave to all bikes & some are brand Specific..
Oh well.......We're motorcyclists so with that being said we'll way to everyone.....I do have a little fun with this sometimes.....HD clothing on the BMW...BMW stuff on the HD...doesn't matter to me...kind of funny on how people with receive you...(want to be, etc)
been riding street since '69...so not too new to this..just something that some of us do...
Ride Safe & Aware...................

Old 06-02-2006, 02:25 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: thebigbuckster

it sounds to me that you are going through the same issues that a bi-sexual might go through...on one hand he likes chicks...on the other hand he likes jappy crap?
Uh..yeah..that's exactly it.
Jappy crap? So I guess you don't own any TVs, or computers, electronics, etc. I'm a little confused though...how are you on this message board without a computer? Because I can guarantee that there isn't anything in that computer that was made here.

That "I'll only ever buy American" crap is really just getting old. America sold out a long time ago. Without the rest of the world, we wouldn't have dick. They certainly sold me out when they outsourced my job to India or wherever the fu*k they sent my job to.

I love my harley as much as anyone on this board...but I appreciate technology in all forms...and when it comes to motorcycles and performance (as well as bang for your buck), the Japs have been doing a pretty damn good job for quite some time now.

And in all honesty...I'd rather ride a honda than push a harley....because if I had to choose, I'll choose getting home so I can have sex with a beautiful woman...my wife. There's no confusion there dude.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:50 PM
chappy1
Stage II

If you are interested in any more Jap bikes I have a 99 cbr for $4500. If thats too much bring your wife buy and we'll dicker.

Quick Reply: All the performance in the world