General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some rhetoric about the warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Phlsphyguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some rhetoric about the warranty

H-D gives a two year unlimited warranty upon purchase of a new bike. After reading many posts on here about warranty work, I began to think of a few items that I thought would make some think with regard to the application and approval of warranty work.

1. It seems that whether or not your warranty work gets approved is very much dependent upon the CS rep you get on the phone. Some reps are more than generous and some won't approve anything because they feel it is coming directly out of his/her pocket. I wonder if the reps or warranty approval people are paid a bonus for SAVING the company money-much like a health insurance company or P &C insurance company?

2. Do dealerships like doing warranty work? Do they get paid the same rate from H-D as they would from john/jane Q Public?

3. Why are some problems with an under warranty bike considered normal, but the same problems on an out of warranty bike are not normal and the owner is encouraged to get them repaired?

Just some questions I have been thinking about...

Old 08-17-2009, 02:55 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 313 Likes on 181 Posts

My 2 years just expired. The only issues I had were it was missing a rubber bumper under the gas fill lid when it was new, and the fairing wings broke.
In both instances the dealer gave me the parts and I put them on (yes, they would have done the work if I had asked).

If your having a problem that you expect will get worse after warranty expires save the work order to document that you did ask for it to be fixed while the bike was under warranty.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:23 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=piasspj;5445129

If your having a problem that you expect will get worse after warranty expires save the work order to document that you did ask for it to be fixed while the bike was under warranty.[/quote]

Great advise... I did just that on my 06 ultra when I had a CB radio problem. I reported it at every service for 2 years, and they couldn't find anything...2 months after the warrenty expired, they wanted to charge me over 1000.00 to fix...I laughed, walked out to the bike, brought in the repair orders from when they couldn't find the problem, and told them straight up that they WOULD fix it, and it WOULD be under the warrenty, as I had reported the problem numerous times..

They didn't like it...but they DID fix it under warrenty.

I keep every repair order, no matter how big or small, and no matter what is done. They get stapled to the reciept and saved in a file for each bike.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:47 AM
casper gomez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a warranty issue right now. when i bought my 09 heritage i had them go ahead and install some rush slip-ons. both pipes have a section about 4" long at the very end where the heatshield goes all the way around. one of them had come loose and you could see the seam. i took it in and as of friday afternoon the dealership said they had to send pictures to rush and see if they will honor the warranty because there was some damage to the inside of the coupling. i said that i didn't care if rush honored it or the dealer did, but i want it warrantied because they installed it and since it doesn't have a scratch on it i think it didn't get knocked loose- it came loose.

they said they should know something by wednesday. i am gonna wait to raise hell till then. gonna give them the chance to do the right thing.