General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-Rods

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 05:23 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-Rods

I've read in different forums and mags a lot of different opinions about V-Rods. I've heard about people who love them and that they perform wonderfully. I've read the ergos of the original V-rod are horrible but the motor is the best ever built. I've also heard people who have V-Rods say they get snubbed by other Harley riders, that traditional Harley riders don't consider the V-Rod " a real Harley." "REAL Harley's aren't water cooled!" ... That type of thing.

Who here rides V-Rods, how do you like them and have you found that other Harley riders accept or don't accept your bike as a "real Harley?" (You probably don't CARE what others think but i'm just wondering.)

Also non-V-Rod riders ... how do YOU feel aboout V-Rods?

I'm still waiting to buy my 1st Harley so I don't feel qualified to give my opinion here. But a V-Rod is a bike I could possibly look at. Although honestly I kind of have my heart set on a Soft Tail classic, A real traditional looking Harley!

Old 06-06-2006, 05:43 AM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: V-Rods

I played with a v-rod. Being a shorter person the forward controls were a little bit of a stretch for me. Also when my feet are down at the stop light the exhaust is too close to my leg. It didn't work for me at all.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:59 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser

I SAT on an original V-rod in a store but didn't take it for a ride. I'm 5'8" tall, kind of average for a guy, and to reach the pegs I was at full stretch. Like I said in my original post I'm not really considering one BUTTTTTTTTT I'm very courious about how people feel about them and I fully intend to take one out for a ride next chance I get! My WIFE'S opinion is i should get a Harley that SCREAMS HARLEY! That's one big reason i'm seriously considering the Soft Tail Classic ... it's about as traditional looking a Harley as you can get plus it comes with a back rest for her saving me a few bucks in additions I don't need to buy.

Hey Scrappy883r, what dates are the Laconia rally being held on this month? I'm definitely going to TRY to make it this year ... that's if it ever stops RAINING!

Old 06-06-2006, 08:39 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the V-Rod will suffer the same stigma that the Sportster does. BT riders fail to understand that the Sportster is closer in size to the ORIGINAL Harley than their bikes are. Oh well.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:18 AM
blk06rk
Banned

I have a 05 SE V-rod, I like it around town [bar hopper], Not somthing I'd take a long trip on. I could really care less what others think about what I ride, They not paying for it, nor do I have to sleep with them a night so their oppion don't pack alot of weight with me, But being you ask I'll say this; Seems most people that call themselfs the true "Harley" guys don't like them simply due to the fact its water cooled, Got news for you boys ALL HARLEYS will be water cooled before its all said and done thanks to MR. EPA$$hole. If you between 5'10 and 6'1 the bike is a good fit, If not there is also the night rod and street rod both with different seating and control positions. At the end of the day if I had to keep only 1 bike it would be my Road King not the v-rod its alot of fun but I'd call it a second bike not a only bike.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Vetter
Tourer

I luv em! I think they look cool, and are alot of fun to ride. I'm 6'4" tall, so it's too small for me, my wife is 5'3" tall, and she has no problems.
I prefer my RG, but the V-rod is still cool.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:43 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like `em and could've come close to buying one. I decided I wanted something more traditional. I still think they're cool and sound pretty good. They're so well-balanced with a very low center of gravity that it feels like they could almost stand up by themselves.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:43 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rrlavigne

Also non-V-Rod riders ... how do YOU feel aboout V-Rods?
I test drove a V-Rod a couple of years ago and I really liked the technology, power, look and overall performance. I can only afford one bike so, wanting to tour as much as any kind of riding, I'm now a bagger owner. If Harley puts out a touring V-Rod it will instantly be high on my 'want' list. If I like the design and features, there will probably be one in my garage.

As far as whether or not a V-Rod is a real Harley...from the first design in clay through the test riding and approval by Willie G, the chassis is all Milwaukee. And even though the engine is from a collaboration with Porsche, Harley engineers were still involved and the final motor design still had to be approved by the development center on Capital Drive--right in Milwaukee, WI, USA.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:58 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So many positive replys to the V-Rod, I'm surprised, although I seldom get waves on mine. Crotch Rockets don't like it because it's a cruiser, Metrics don't like it because it says Harley (and will outrun most of them), and Harley riders don't like them because they are water-cooled. There is one person that doesn't care---ME. I ride with a Goldwing (Dad), a crotch rocket (little Brother), and a FLHTCUI (twin Brother) all the time. Also ride with two Road Kings, a Low Rider, and another Ultra, so as long as everyone doesn't snubb me, then...............(wouldn't care if everyone did). Told everyone when I ordered it, "I wouldn't care if it said 'Strawberry-Shortcake Bike' on the side, it's what I want". The fact that it says "Harley-Davidson" on the side is nice though. Like I said, I don't care what everyone else thinks, I'm happy.

By the way, I'm 5'7", give or take, and the bike fits me perfectly. Rode a VRSCB and had to stretch to ride it. Thus the VRSCA.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:31 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I suppose it all this comes under the heading of, 'I am a biker first that happens to ride a ________(fill in the blank)'. That is the way I look at it. I happen to be riding a FLHT right now, but, if money were no object, I would have a V-Rod and a Buell in my garage as well as several 'Brand-X' I say, go with your heart and be happy with your decision.

Quick Reply: V-Rods