General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indian "Cash for Clunkers"

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:00 PM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow..."Mind numbingly awesome".... How can you pass that up?

BTW skirts are for girls.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too much for bike with no history and no track record.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:19 PM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

25K - 35K for a bike that has virtually no service history...

I would look at one if they brought back the scout and kept it under 15K....

Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm ... NADA says $18,800 trade-in ... plus $3k from Indian ... I paid just under $22k out the door 7 months ago ... that's a break-even deal.

Too bad the Indian I like is $36k ... but then again that probably explains why they can offer $3k on top of any trade. At prices like that I can get a CVO Ultra.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:38 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 388 Posts

Many consumers have put discretionary spending on hold. 25 to 35 large is lots of coin for a motorcycle, especially one with no history. Where Indian will benefit mostly is from the attention this program will generate in print and online media.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:44 AM
russell6hp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indians might be over priced...but you know MoCo is swallowing hard thinking "What are they doing??? They're INCLUDING accessories!?!? Any look! They're doing the same things all those guys who bought Dynas are doing in their garages!??!"

Old 09-02-2009, 06:08 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Unless I'm reading it wrong....It looks to me like it is not the Indian Motorcycle Co. that is doing this promotion. It is just the Flagship dealer in Charlotte. I keep seeing references to "Indian" making the offer but I thinks it is just something the one Dealership is doing on it's own. I could be wrong, I haven't researched any other Dealers as I have no intent to buy another bike but the way I read it it is just this one Dealership.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member

The Vintage is a beautiful bike and they are big, too. I am nice and stretched out on one. I am not really considering getting one, but you have to put the price in perspective. They are loaded with chrome/details unlike a stock H-D. They are more like the CVO bikes and the 106 is supposedly better than the 110 that comes with the CVO models. So, in that respect, they are not over-priced. My problem is with a limited dealership network and no history on dependability/service needs.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member

Bluzmn - I disagree that the Indians are not overpriced. The fact that they come standard with a lot of goodies is cool, yes, but the Harley CVO's underlying bike is tried and tested and has a big dealer network. That is a big component of the price that is not supported by Indian. So you can buy a good looking thing that may wind up trash. Look at the Gilroy Indians, for example. The track record of the underlying bike is paramount to commanding a high price like they are asking and they have no record to cite.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
Bluzmn - I disagree that the Indians are not overpriced. The fact that they come standard with a lot of goodies is cool, yes, but the Harley CVO's underlying bike is tried and tested and has a big dealer network. That is a big component of the price that is not supported by Indian. So you can buy a good looking thing that may wind up trash. Look at the Gilroy Indians, for example. The track record of the underlying bike is paramount to commanding a high price like they are asking and they have no record to cite.
I agree with you to some extent and that lack of a track record and a dealership network would stop me from seriously considering one. I would point out, however, that part of the track record on the H-D CVO bikes is a 110" motor with a history of under-performance and mechanical issues.

Quick Reply: Indian "Cash for Clunkers"