Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Street Bob or Night Train (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/41308-street-bob-or-night-train.html)

TeamXtreme 06-20-2006 01:53 PM

Street Bob or Night Train

I know that there are a lot of personal preferences between these two bikes, but I am looking for solid comparison comments to help steer a friend of mine towards the right bike.

He is a bigger guy, 6'1" and about 250. He was looking at the Ducatti Monster, and likes the rice burners, but feels that he is getting too old for those bikes, so I have steered him towards a HD.

He really likes the look of the NT, but was talked into looking at the Street Bob by the showroom floor staff.

Personally, I prefer the NT... but don't know enough about the SB to point him in any directions.

Any of your thoughts?

Clammy 06-20-2006 02:14 PM

RE: Street Bob or Night Train

Well, I'm kinda biased towards the Night Train. :D

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

TXSwede 06-20-2006 02:18 PM

Same engine same stock hp and torque. Same gas mileage, NT comes with carb or EFI. SB just EFI
SB has 6 speed trans
NT is 20 pounds heavier, 3 inches longer and $2K more

Not a bad choice to have to make. I chose the SB, just cuz of the price. If I had more dough I woulda gone with the NT. But I can honestly say there is not a right or wrong choice here. Just sit on them and find out whhich one talks to ya.

grunt 06-20-2006 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: TeamXtreme

I know that there are a lot of personal preferences between these two bikes, but I am looking for solid comparison comments to help steer a friend of mine towards the right bike.

He is a bigger guy, 6'1" and about 250. He was looking at the Ducatti Monster, and likes the rice burners, but feels that he is getting too old for those bikes, so I have steered him towards a HD.

He really likes the look of the NT, but was talked into looking at the Street Bob by the showroom floor staff.

Personally, I prefer the NT... but don't know enough about the SB to point him in any directions.

Any of your thoughts?
I like both their looks. I guess it depends on the image he wants. The train is more new-age semi-cop, with narrow front and fat rear (new ones have 200mm tires). The NT is more blacked out, but both have the same black motor style. The SB is more the old school where the less (or shorter) parts on it the better. I think from a riding standpoint the SB will corner a little sharper, but the NT will shake (vibrate) less. And the NT keeps the faux-hardtail look of the softail.

I'd say if he likes the NT get the NT.

CraigC 06-20-2006 02:46 PM

In all honesty, this is a really tough decision to screw up! I found the Dynas to ride a little better, corner a little better and I love the ground shaking rubber mounted "A" motor. The Street Bob was the one that called to me the loudest. That said, I'd never turn my nose up at a free Night Train.

whaap 06-20-2006 03:02 PM

I prefer the soft tail over the Dyna. However, I don't think either one would be a mistake.

Tman 06-20-2006 03:53 PM

The wild glide front end on the NT says it all.

HOGRIDA_06 06-20-2006 04:43 PM

I went to the dealer to buy the Night Train, not liking the Bob from the pictures. Once I got to the show room and saw the two sitting side by side the decision was easy. I went with the Bob. It just felt right and freed up some money for mods. Tell your friend to follow his heart, thats what I do.

JamieWG 06-20-2006 05:31 PM

If he is 6'1", have him sit on a Wide Glide. The reason is, if he adds forward controls to the Street Bob, it'll sit like the Wide Glide. I was originally looking at buying a Duece, but I've got long legs and the extra leg room on the Wide Glide was the deal breaker for me. I felt a little cramped on the softail frame. Both bikes, NT and SB, are great rides. He'll be happy with either.

Unamed 06-20-2006 11:27 PM

As others have said...

Sit on it and you'll just kinda know. Its a cosmic thing man. The Harley will find its rider!

06fxstbi 06-21-2006 12:42 AM

I had the same delima. I always wanted a Night Train but could'nt afford it and had too settle on a Sportster. I rode it for a year and luckily was able to trade up. The Sporster was an excellet bike though. When the Street Bob came out I liked it a lot and had decided to get it. Comparing them against each other the SB was initially cheaper but by the time I priced all the accessorys they were pretty even. I was talking to a friend and ask him what he thought I should do. He said that all I talked about was the NT and if I did'nt get it I would always wonder about it. I chose the NT and have never looked back. Go with what your gut tells you. You can't go wrong with either though.http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/981...v.jpg[IMG]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5157/10000871rs.jpg[IMG][/IMG]http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/5540/10000861ro.jpg[/IMG]

anubisss 06-21-2006 12:50 AM

Fatboy......I know its not an option, but its the shiznit.

Blackbird 06-21-2006 03:03 AM

I'd go for the Street Bob with forward controls.

WIKIDJESTER 06-21-2006 04:34 AM

I always loved thr NT, then I saw the SB, was not sure about it in pics. Saw it and went hmmmm very nice, but I had to go with my gut instinct and the 'train won out for me, I love it.

back again 06-21-2006 12:03 PM

ride em boyh your instinct will tell you which one. love my NT

solorider 06-21-2006 01:51 PM

The NT has a balanced motor and the SB is rubber mounted; the SB has the 6-speed tranny while the NT has the 5-speed. I'd recommend a test drive if possible...these are pretty significant differences.

wild wally 06-21-2006 03:11 PM

Have him sit on them. Night Train looks killer, but for me (6'2") I felt hunched over with the short handlebars. They're both awesome bikes.

Wally

UncleMike 06-21-2006 03:49 PM

The only thing your friend needs to do is test ride them both. He'll know then...

Original Junior 06-21-2006 04:15 PM

I'm 6'1" 220 lbs and the bob w/ forwards is a great fit. I almost went with the train but, like others noted, I felt hunched over with the drag bars. Now maybe a NT w/ apes would work but right from the floor the bob fit the bill best. Now, after 5000 miles I would not change. The train is sweet but the bob just looks, rides, and corners better (for me) than the NT. Sit on each, including a Dyna with forwards, and let the heart, ass, legs, back, and arms make the call.

grumpy irish again 06-21-2006 04:33 PM

night train or any softtail over a dyna

wild wally 06-21-2006 05:14 PM

street bob or any dyna over a softtail

streetbob6 08-27-2006 05:48 PM

TELL HIM TO BUY A DYNA WIDE GLIDE , THAT'S MUCH BETTER THAN ANY SOFTTAIL OUT THERE!!

Dragonsoni 08-28-2006 02:53 PM

Where did you guys get the skull air cleaners covers on the Night train and Street Bob?