General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob or Night Train

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:53 PM
TeamXtreme
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Bob or Night Train

I know that there are a lot of personal preferences between these two bikes, but I am looking for solid comparison comments to help steer a friend of mine towards the right bike.

He is a bigger guy, 6'1" and about 250. He was looking at the Ducatti Monster, and likes the rice burners, but feels that he is getting too old for those bikes, so I have steered him towards a HD.

He really likes the look of the NT, but was talked into looking at the Street Bob by the showroom floor staff.

Personally, I prefer the NT... but don't know enough about the SB to point him in any directions.

Any of your thoughts?

Old 06-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,761 Likes on 774 Posts
Default RE: Street Bob or Night Train

Well, I'm kinda biased towards the Night Train.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-20-2006, 02:18 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Same engine same stock hp and torque. Same gas mileage, NT comes with carb or EFI. SB just EFI
SB has 6 speed trans
NT is 20 pounds heavier, 3 inches longer and $2K more

Not a bad choice to have to make. I chose the SB, just cuz of the price. If I had more dough I woulda gone with the NT. But I can honestly say there is not a right or wrong choice here. Just sit on them and find out whhich one talks to ya.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:22 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TeamXtreme

I know that there are a lot of personal preferences between these two bikes, but I am looking for solid comparison comments to help steer a friend of mine towards the right bike.

He is a bigger guy, 6'1" and about 250. He was looking at the Ducatti Monster, and likes the rice burners, but feels that he is getting too old for those bikes, so I have steered him towards a HD.

He really likes the look of the NT, but was talked into looking at the Street Bob by the showroom floor staff.

Personally, I prefer the NT... but don't know enough about the SB to point him in any directions.

Any of your thoughts?
I like both their looks. I guess it depends on the image he wants. The train is more new-age semi-cop, with narrow front and fat rear (new ones have 200mm tires). The NT is more blacked out, but both have the same black motor style. The SB is more the old school where the less (or shorter) parts on it the better. I think from a riding standpoint the SB will corner a little sharper, but the NT will shake (vibrate) less. And the NT keeps the faux-hardtail look of the softail.

I'd say if he likes the NT get the NT.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:46 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all honesty, this is a really tough decision to screw up! I found the Dynas to ride a little better, corner a little better and I love the ground shaking rubber mounted "A" motor. The Street Bob was the one that called to me the loudest. That said, I'd never turn my nose up at a free Night Train.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:02 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I prefer the soft tail over the Dyna. However, I don't think either one would be a mistake.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Tman
Cruiser

The wild glide front end on the NT says it all.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:43 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went to the dealer to buy the Night Train, not liking the Bob from the pictures. Once I got to the show room and saw the two sitting side by side the decision was easy. I went with the Bob. It just felt right and freed up some money for mods. Tell your friend to follow his heart, thats what I do.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:31 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he is 6'1", have him sit on a Wide Glide. The reason is, if he adds forward controls to the Street Bob, it'll sit like the Wide Glide. I was originally looking at buying a Duece, but I've got long legs and the extra leg room on the Wide Glide was the deal breaker for me. I felt a little cramped on the softail frame. Both bikes, NT and SB, are great rides. He'll be happy with either.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Unamed
Road Master

As others have said...

Sit on it and you'll just kinda know. Its a cosmic thing man. The Harley will find its rider!

Quick Reply: Street Bob or Night Train