General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what leather jacket to buy????

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:16 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Fox Creek makes great quality jackets, but I was completely unable to get one to fit me properly. I've got a Commander II jacket that is huge on me, as I needed to size up to get one with long enough arms and broad enough shoulders. No fooling, I could grow 2 inches taller and gain 100 pounds and it might fit right then. It is warm and tough, and is clearly a high-quality jacket, but I must have a strange shape, as nothing smaller would fit my arms and shoulders.

I have a leather FXRG that I love. With a Gerbings Jacket liner, that should be good no matter how cold it gets.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:29 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I like the cheaper jackets best.They are all as warm or warmer than Harley jackets for alot less.Another issue for me is my weight is always up and down,if you are like this it is better to have a couple of jackets.If really cold you will want to put a sweat shirt under,if not so cold a tighter fitting jacket is better

Old 10-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Mikekoz13
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is teh one I have:

http://www.redlineleather.com/retail...a6754c7101c350

It is excellent. The sleeves are a little longer than normal so that when you are riding they DO NOT hitch up and expose your wrists. The zippers in the wrist areas close the jacket up tight around the wrists.

The jacket is zipper vented both front and back, has a built in scarf in the liner, and a lot of little built in pockets inside. The liner zips in and out easily.
It has a snap on the straight collar to keep it from flapping around. This is a HEAVY coat..... probably weighs about 8 lbs. or so.

$275 is a bargain for this coat.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:55 PM
tomtompiperson
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take a Look at Vanson

Vanson makes top quality jackets.
I have the Sturgis model. It has pockets for armor, vents for for warmer weather, good zippers and zippers on the sleeves. With any leather jacket you must layer for cold weather. Get gloves that go over your sleeves and maybe some heated gear.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:28 PM
firebrick
Road Warrior

if you like the classic look you can get a wilson open road jacket on ebay used for about 25 bucks at any time. Mine has a full inner liner and it is heavier and thicker than any HD jacket I have seen.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 AM
JimboR
1st Gear

Lets face it. If you are getting a leather for rideing, then you need it to perform. You're riding a $20,000 + bike and you're worried about the cost of your gear? Hands down the riding jacket you need is a Langlitz! They are designed for riding ( longer, precurved sleeves, drop down kidney belt area, etc..) They are custom made. Check out their site @ Langlitz Leathers. Yes, the belt is functional! It holds the jacket down when you bend forward. Legendary USA has some excellent jackets also. But, most important is that you buy American made with American leather. Pakistan, China and others us tanning processes that are really bad for people and the planet. They are willing to use chemicals that we have outlawed decades ago. American craftmanship can not be beat. We are the originals and the best in the world.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Gliding Wide
Cruiser

I have a couple of Harley leather jackets and another "Classic Style" black leather jacket with removable lining. They all work well. Find what is most comfortable for you and the color that pleases YOU the most. I personally like vented jackets while riding since the temp. warms during the day and cooling may be needed. Buy what you can afford and what is comfortable. If the jacket is not comfortable regardless of the looks you will be wanting another soon. Be smart in your choice, shop around and buy what you will be comfortable wearing the first time.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by The Shute
Try LeatherUp.com you won't spend the 100's of dollars you referred to.
Thanks for the tip Shute. I got an excellent jacket for $117 delivered. I would have paid up to $300 for it anywhere else.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Cockroach
Road Captain

how bout the one at the flea market or pawn shop. i like those the best. for real

Old 10-08-2009, 03:43 PM
utahdyna
Advanced

If are worried about warmth, look into the Harley heavey nylon coats they have out. They come with armor ( removable) and most have full liners. so they are great for early srping, light summer to all out cold. We live in Utah and sswear by them. it was 30 degree's the morning we left for bike fest and were were warm the whole way.

Leather just does not keep you warm enough.

Quick Reply: what leather jacket to buy????