General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Payoff Bike???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:52 PM
NavyHOG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my .02...keep your money in the savings and continue saving your money like you have been. And keep paying the bike note. Because, how long will it take you to get the same amount of money back into your savings? What if you suddenly become un-employed. You wont have any money and will more than likely sell the bike.
What about the interest? You have paid 90% of it already.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeJunkie
Thanks for all of the replies. If I paid it off now, I would only save about $200 in interest (4.9%), which, as someone said, would buy many cases of beer, but still, that isn't a lot. I'm not too concerned about loosing my job, as at least for now, my company has a no layoff policy, but that could be changed at a moments notice. I am more concerned about getting hurt or sick and having to go on short term disability. I would lose between 50-60% of my regular income. I will probably go ahead and pay it off and put part of the payment in the bank and use part of it paying off what little debt I have left.

Everytime I am about to click the submit button to pay off the loan, I have that little voice in my head talking to me. It isn't like I HAVE to pay to loan off now, but I guess I will give it some more thought in the next few days.
I hope I don't offend you with this question, but are you real sure about your math?
That $200 figure sounds awfully low.

Edit: I suppose you could have a small loan with a small payment. LOL You never did say how BIG your payment was.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 10-17-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:36 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I hope I don't offend you with this question, but are you real sure about your math?
That $200 figure sounds awfully low.

Edit: I suppose you could have a small loan with a small payment. LOL You never did say how BIG your payment was.

I have about the same amount of payments left on my truck and if I pay it off early I would safe $172.26. I would guess the op numbers are pretty close.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:45 PM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is your finance rate? Under 4% just keep making payments, anything over that and I'd double up on payments and wouldn't drain your savings.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeJunkie
I have a decision to make concerning paying off my bike. I have the money in savings to pay off my bike, but paying it off will take most of what I have saved and will leave me little for a "rainy day", should something happen and I need the cash. What do y'all think, pay it off and deposit my payment amount in savings, or keep making the payments? (Have about 20 months remaining on note.)
Pay it off and be done with it. Good way to lean out your finances and boost your credit score.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:09 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
$200/20= $10 per month. BFD.
Exactly !.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you pay it off, the motorcycle is YOURS. It will look different, smell different, and ride different. If you get into financial trouble, you will be forced to find a way to cope (you might consider borrowing some money...remember, the motorcycle is YOURS now).

If you don't pay it and get into financial trouble, I'm sure the bank will be very reasonable about letting you keep the bike and not make any payments...oh, wait. I'm wrong.

Nothing rides as smooth as your own bike!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Please let us know what you have decided to do.

You were curious for our opinions, some of us are curious as to which way you went with this.

Don't leave us hangin' here! LOL

Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Rugar
Tourer

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Please let us know what you have decided to do.

You were curious for our opinions, some of us are curious as to which way you went with this.

Don't leave us hangin' here! LOL

Old 10-22-2009, 07:28 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Me? I had $200 payments to a credit card.....more percent than what you may be paying on your bike.
My GF finally convinced me....why should I give the card people ANYTHING!
So I wrote a check for a thousand, every month (while still putting into my savings) and in a few monthes...my credit card was paid off. I now put my card payment plus what I would normally put, into my savings. I have not run into a 'rainy day', except two or three times while riding with some friends from HD Forums.
The money is yours.......pay off the bike and keep the rest to put into your bank account (You have to be serious though and put the money back).

Chuck

Quick Reply: Payoff Bike???