General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1936 Flathead Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:59 PM
sglide77hd
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1936 Flathead Update

All parts are in Oklahoma getting hotdipped. I will get them back next week. Took them to a little Mom and Pops place run by a nice little ol man. Looked like he had been in business for many years. Found someone to powdercoat all the parts for CHEAP!!!!! About $150.00.....Just the way I like it.....Kind of a new business around here. He does Aircraft parts, so I am sure he will do an excellent job. I just hope that when my parts are ready to go to him, that someone else will need black powdercoat also. If he has to do all my parts alone he said it will cost alittle more. But if he has someone elses stuff to do in the same color, he will do mine at the same time and save me a few bucks. I am also going to have one of his people do an NDI test on the frame. That is a test where they use sound to determine the integrity of the metal. They use this to check the thickness of an item, to see if there are any voids. A really cool process. I have seen it used on many aircraft, because I work on them also. Should have gasket sets next week. This thing is about to be put back together to her former glory. Well, I am gonna try like hell anyway.... Hope everyone Rides Hard...................

Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 PM
gearedforacure
Cruiser

...very interested in seeing more on this. I recently became very interested in late 30s Harleys when we uncovered a photo of my grandpa in his uniform standing next to what I have determined to be a 1938-40 possibly flathead.

If you wouldn't mind me asking, what kind of a price range is this project running you? Eventually I think it would be fun to take on a project like this. Grandpa passed away last year and I think it would be a really cool way to continue to remember him.

Here is a link to the photo. Dad also found two side shots, that I have yet to scan, that should tell an expert a little more about what exactly the bike is.

photo

Keep us updated...and get us some photos!

Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 PM
sglide77hd
6th Gear
Default 1936 Flathead Update

So far I have $265.00 wrapped up in this project.

Gaskets Sets......$40.00 Motor and Tranny
Hotdip................$75.00 Frame,Heads,Jugs,Tranny,Front End,Crashbar, and other misc parts.
Powdercoat.........$150.00 Frame,Heads,Jugs,Front End,Crashbar,and other misc parts.

Yet to come is the original paint scheme for that year. But I have a good friend I grew up with that has a friend that paints close to where I live. So I will get a deal on that too. No figure on cost for that yet. Original color sheme for a 1936 is Black and Orange. I have posted a picture of what it is supposed to look like when I am done. The one pictured is a 1934, but they have the same paint scheme. I will post more pictures of the bike when I get it back from powdercoat.

The hardest part of the project is getting a new tank and fenders. So far the cheapest ones I have found, total $1500.00 for all 3. And that is for original parts. But I wll keep looking. Can't afford that yet. I am going to get all the little stuff done first. Will not really need the tank and fenders yet anyway. I figure it will take me a little while to get everything, but I will keep everyone posted as it goes along........ Ride Hard.....Die Free......

Attached Thumbnails 1936 Flathead Update-1934-harley-davidson-vld-1.jpg   1936 Flathead Update-1934-harley-davidson-vld-2.jpg  
Old 10-23-2009, 02:29 PM
gearedforacure
Cruiser

thats sharp looking...it would be cool to have something in that shape.

So what are you starting with and how much did that cost you?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gearedforacure
thats sharp looking...it would be cool to have something in that shape.

So what are you starting with and how much did that cost you?

A friend of mine came over to visit, and he brought one of his friends with him. We started talking and his friends said " you have to see what I have on sitting on my front porch". I said what is that? He said it was a 1936 VLD Flathead. I said no ****? Lets go see. We went over to his house, I seen it and loaded it up. It was in a chicken coop that burned to the ground. Rusted to beat hell, axles frozen to the hubs. In pretty bad shape. needless to say I have it all torn apart and have ordered new gaskets sets for the motor and tranny from 45 Restoration. Next week I am taking all the parts to Oklahoma to have them hotdipped. Got the paint for the heads and jugs. So when it comes back from the hotdip, I can start putting her back together. and the best thing about it, I got it for free. Best Deal I ever ran into.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

sglide77hd, I'm glad you posted. It's good to hear people are interested in working on early model Harleys.

gearedforacure, that's a great photo of your grandpa. Sorry to hear he passed away.

You mentioned the bike may possibly be a Flathead and I'm assuming you may be judging by what appears to be an air cleaner cover located just below the left-hand tank (right-hand side looking at the photo). If so, I'd agree with you.

The front mudguard/fender appears to have side trim and that side trim was introduced beginning with 1939 models, according to Bruce Palmer's restoration book.

The front wheel appears to be the 16" variety and they first appeared for 1940 models, although that was as an option. We may be able to help with more ID when you post the side shots. Eric

Old 10-24-2009, 06:25 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Just curious,was the motor frozen?
Seems like it would need a lot more than a gasket set.
Are the heads cast iron or cast aluminum?Shouldnt they get bead blasted?

Sounds like a great project!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:53 PM
sglide77hd
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Just curious,was the motor frozen?
Seems like it would need a lot more than a gasket set.
Are the heads cast iron or cast aluminum?Shouldnt they get bead blasted?

Sounds like a great project!
No, The Motor was not frozen. it turned over. And they are Cast Iron Heads. I am having them blasted after they get back from being dipped. Actually, after tearing the motor apart, it looked like brand new inside....No wear on any of the bearings that I could see even with a magnifying lens.......The tranny was the same way...Spotless.....Just outside of bike burnt from the fire, and rusted from the weather from sitting outside for many years....The heat of the fire boiled the oil in the cases and tranny and left them looking like new inside...I was impressed at how clean it was inside.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:54 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sglide77hd
No, The Motor was not frozen. it turned over. And they are Cast Iron Heads. I am having them blasted after they get back from being dipped. Actually, after tearing the motor apart, it looked like brand new inside....No wear on any of the bearings that I could see even with a magnifying lens.......The tranny was the same way...Spotless.....Just outside of bike burnt from the fire, and rusted from the weather from sitting outside for many years....The heat of the fire boiled the oil in the cases and tranny and left them looking like new inside...I was impressed at how clean it was inside.
That is awesome man! I can't believe you got that for free! Good luck on the restoration. Keep on updating us with your progress. I can't wait to see how it looks once finished.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:06 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to do the updates. Please keep them coming throughout the project!

Quick Reply: 1936 Flathead Update