General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disc Lock SAVED my bike last night!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Your little mishap could have been MUCH worse,............................ it could have actually happened to me! Now that would have been REALLY bad.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Strat HD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
I can easily see this happening and I bet it does very often. For people with carbed bikes it's turning on the gas that gets forgotten. Very embarrassing. A friend used to have a little sticker on his dash that said "Turn on the gas stupid".
I have a 02 carbed E G Standard. The best women you know could'nt suck gas outta that petcock. (no pun intended). Unless the bike was running. Found that out when taking the tank off. HD sells a pump to get the gas out. LOL. Have'nt turned the gas off in seven years.

Used to get a little embaressed on my shovelhead though.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kiltiemon
From being ridden by an Idiot!!!

...of course,

It didn't do too much for ME as the bike jolted to a stop after about a foot and fell over to the right! I DID have time (during the fall) to ascertain that it would have been a MUCH better idea to REMOVE the disc lock BEFORE trying to leave for home! I DID (along with some help from the "engine guard") keep the thing from going COMPLETELY to the ground. In the fracus I managed to RE-damage an almost healed kneecap (non bike related).

My dear friend (and boss) Ron, pulled up in his SUV and asked if I was all right. I told him that in the physical sense I was fine, but apparently my mental facualties weren't all they needed to be and explained the dynamics of the error in judgement!

Oh well... time to get one of those "pennants" that say "remove before flight"...

Gotta start doing the aviator's "walk-around"... the "C.I.G.A.R." check.

Just had to vent. To "Testify" (HALALUYAH!!!). That sort of thing!

Jim aka kiltiemon
I had seen the exact same thing happen with a guy that had the old style fork lock (with a padlock). Ouch!

Old 11-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Arv
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I call it a learning curve.
It probably wont happen again.
nice to know there's people around to help in these situations..

Be Safe.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:04 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is one of my biggest fears in getting one. My brother-in-law that did it on a poker run. Then next stop his jiffy stand failed him and his bike dropped on the other side. To say the least we went home early as he could no longer stop without leaning his bike against something.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:08 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003Springer
Did you see your boss laugh or did he wait till you were out of sight?
??????????????

Old 11-22-2009, 01:21 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

My disk lock came with a bright orange 'lead' (leed)....that once you put the lock on, you strecth the plastic lead over the throttle/front brake levor. It reminds you that you have a lock on, and also shows thieves they may want to move to the bike next to yours.
Also...if you can picture this: Cut a small ring out of self stick velcro and stick it around the ignition key hole, and one ring around the disk lock key opening. Then cut a small 'disk' of velcro to cover one of the openings. While 'riding' the bike, the velcro 'disk' will cover the lock opening. When you lock the bike, you remove the disk, and put it over the ignition opening. You can't start the bike with the velcro in place, thereby reminding you of the lock in place.
I use a disk lock since losing a set of keys near Daytona Beach. I just picture someone walking along with my key fob...looking for my lights to flash. (I didn't have my disk lock key on the key ring.) BUt since I have bought new fobs and synced them to my bike, I don't think the old fob is anygood...as long as my ignition is locked and they don't know how to sync-up the FOB. Bike insurance is a blessing also. LOL

Old 11-22-2009, 02:03 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by themensh
My disk lock came with a bright orange 'lead' (leed)....that once you put the lock on, you strecth the plastic lead over the throttle/front brake levor. It reminds you that you have a lock on, and also shows thieves they may want to move to the bike next to yours.
Also...if you can picture this: Cut a small ring out of self stick velcro and stick it around the ignition key hole, and one ring around the disk lock key opening. Then cut a small 'disk' of velcro to cover one of the openings. While 'riding' the bike, the velcro 'disk' will cover the lock opening. When you lock the bike, you remove the disk, and put it over the ignition opening. You can't start the bike with the velcro in place, thereby reminding you of the lock in place.
I use a disk lock since losing a set of keys near Daytona Beach. I just picture someone walking along with my key fob...looking for my lights to flash. (I didn't have my disk lock key on the key ring.) BUt since I have bought new fobs and synced them to my bike, I don't think the old fob is anygood...as long as my ignition is locked and they don't know how to sync-up the FOB. Bike insurance is a blessing also. LOL
You beat me to it. I always use the Orange cable.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:09 PM
goblish
Cruiser

I'm glad I live were I do here in S.W. MN hardly anybody I know ever locks anything on our bikes not even the iginition. I've been riding for over 12 yrs and can honestly say never locked the bike up at all. To tell you the truth never even heard of a bike getting stolen around here then, again eveyboby knows most people to. Me and the wife took a trip from MN to N. Carolina this past summer on the bikes and on the first hotel stop wife asked if I was going to lock the bikes up, and all I could say was with what, the keys for the bikes are in the file cabinet along with the owners manual. I guess I'm just to trusting people won't mess with the bikes.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:14 PM
fireman54
Cruiser

The disk lock I have has an alarm. Just sitting on the bike sets it off. Alot of noise is less embarassing than dropping your ride.

Quick Reply: Disc Lock SAVED my bike last night!!!