General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley with a Chevy Corvair engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda looks like an early Gold Wing with that horizontally opposed motor hanging out there. The bike looked to have a similar "flywheel effect" causing the bike to rock from right to left when you give it the gas, like the Boss Hoss' do.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Ron1187
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing what you can do with a little ingenuity and some left over parts.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:03 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harvair

May be one way to go back carbureted, the thing even sounds good!

Did the WWII Harleys,"Military Harleys" have 180 opposed cylinders? Not as many but the German BMW and Harley war bikes had those cylinder heads sticking out in the wind!

May just have figured out how to cool down the Harley's

Nah! It'll never catch on....

Old 12-13-2009, 10:06 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yes, Harley made an opposed motor

Old 12-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did not look like it took much to kick it over. I have seen HD's that took more effort.

Neat conversion.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:36 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

These engines are alive and well. Since they have a following in the experimental airplane hobby there are both rebuilt engines and parts available. In some cases there has been some tuning done as well but the reverse of street mods since the airplane application needs low RPM power unless geared down it is limited to the 2600-3400 RPM range due to propeller tip speeds going supersonic/less efficient.

From a website (below) that is arguably the expert:
The Corvair engine is a 164 cubic inch (2,700cc), horizontally-opposed, six-cylinder, air-cooled power plant. General Motors produced 1.7 million Corvairs between 1960 and 1969. All of these high quality engines have hydraulic lifters, torsional vibration dampeners, full flow oil systems, spin on oil filters, and aluminum cases and cylinder heads.

Google yields a BUNCH of info and you can start here:
http://www.flycorvair.com/corvair.html

Hotrodders at work in about the reverse of us....they need power down low...torque peak is way down the rev range. The stock street Corvair was available up to 180 HP at 5500 ( I think) when turbocharged and 140 NA. This is a way cool idea...can be 3100 CC and still fits in a Harley. Parts on the cheap too comparatively speaking. For instance VW jugs can fit, lifters $2.00

I would like to read more about the actual swap and see just how doable it would be by the average Harley wrencher. Almost wish I hadn't seen this thread....my brain is already fried trying NOT to do an LS engine in the built Miata I drive for groceries. John

Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flibuoy

I would like to read more about the actual swap and see just how doable it would be by the average Harley wrencher. Almost wish I hadn't seen this thread....my brain is already fried trying NOT to do an LS engine in the built Miata I drive for groceries. John
He posted the video himself on youtube. You could prob get a hold of him thru there

Old 12-13-2009, 10:43 AM
dumpsterj
Cruiser

that is astounding , where do you find this stuff ? lol
i sent this to a buddy of mine that loves and has a corvair , and has an old sporty project going on. I might be about to stir some trouble lol

Old 12-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Robert_W
Tourer

That is awesome! Gold Wingers beware!

Bob.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:41 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default O.D. Green

Originally Posted by schumacher
yes, Harley made an opposed motor

Never thought olive Drab green could look so cool, this thing could kill the chrome aftermarket. Ratrodish, no frills, solid wheels! Probably worth a cool fortune now if you could find one.

I wonder why Harley dropped this Style Engine, any problems crop up that made this configuration obsolete? I think the V-Twin definately looks better but for cooling purposes this configuration looks more efficient.

Probably the reason I ride a Harley instead of a BMW! Lets face it, it's all about the look.

Quick Reply: Harley with a Chevy Corvair engine