General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy new rider father/son question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Black12
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Giving your kids the freedom to choose is one of the greatest gifts you can give them. For me it also created the most fear for me. Both my sons ride(18 & 20). When they decided they wanted to ride, there were no fancy bikes, they had to buy their own cheap beaters and log alot of miles around town(150 people in town, so no traffic, lol!) before I let them on the road and my wife made them wear a lid till they were 18. The time spent with them, teaching them, riding with them, and hangin' out sharing the passion is absolutely priceless. I'd be lying if I said it didn't scare me everytime they get on the scoot, but that goes with it. They are both responible riders and have done very well. Some of my best memories are from riding with my sons and I look forward to many more. Taking a 5 day road trip with them last year was awesome! To me it's well worth it.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Hway61
Novice

I think about it all the time.

My 23 year old has talked about riding and I dread it.

If anything happened I would feel responsible; I would feel I was to blame.

I model the amount of work involved in continuous practice and am very open about the level of danger in riding. It's his choice, but I have no intention of encouraging it.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:31 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by newRider2010
I'm a typical 47 year old dude whose been repressing his dream of owning a Harley for 30 years.

What is stopping me is while I'm totally comfortable with the risk and have read all the stats and have some military combat experience in distant past so that it is not just academic when I consider risk. But what's stopping me is if my teenage sons were to take up biking later in life and die or get seriously injured, I would consider that my fault for introducing that into their lives by example.

Thanks.
I have been riding since I was 15.. my dad rode and my uncles rode, big influence on me. I am 56 now and my son who has ridden for years off and on mostly crotch rockets has settled to ride one of my bikes now and actually I feel much more comfortable for some reason now that he is. I also had him take the MS course before he started riding a heavy bike. I guess its the fact that he isn't out on some buddy's crotch rocket doing stupid crap to impress someone.

Kids will do what kids will do, just make sure you steer them in the right direction. The dangers are much greater today than they were back in the 70's out on the roads.

So get your bike and get out and ride!! Maybe one day you and your son will enjoy a ride together like I do with mine.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've considered this in passing. I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old, both sons. I already know the 3 year old will wind up on a motorcycle.

I'm a bit realistic though. If I set a good example by riding according to good safe practices, attend safety courses occasionally and teach them to do the same. I've done my job and my conscience will be clear.

You can't ensure an injury free life or even a long one. Only the Big Guy can do that.

The more important question is, do you have life insurance for yourself in case you die on your bike?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:28 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I had a career in law enforcement and saw too many young people die in car accidents. We had three sons and were very concerned about the time when they would be driving cars.

I took a radical step to insure that they would be good drivers. When each one was eight, I got them a mini bike and as they grew I increased the size of bikes.

I felt that the learning of judging speed and distance, handling and operating controls put them at a huge advantage before they got into cars.

I got them a car at age 16 that they had to pay for and insure. All of them got through high school without any tickets or even a fender bender.

The boys are 27,35 and 37 now. They have had many motorcycles, cars and trucks over the years and none have had a major accident.

I would like to think that their growing up riding small motorbikes contributed to their being good drivers. They had Mustang GT's, Camaro's and big displacement motorcycles which they were mature enough to handle without getting into trouble.

Now that I am retired I have partners to ride with in the annual adventure rides that we do. We have trips planned for the next two years.

Last edited by lh4x4; 12-15-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:44 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a rule. I don't buy motor vehicles or firearms for others for this very reason.
If you buy one for yourself, it's on you. Just don't hit me with it!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:45 PM
deanp1964
Road Master

after almost 15 years between bikes, i considered the same sort of things, risk of accident and death, example i'm setting and so on... I realized that i needed to focus on living and keep the focus off of dying! i am never so alive than when i'm rolling down the road on my heritage. i am very safety oriented, and try to set a good example of bike safety for my kids - while i LIVE the life i want to live.

I decided that i wanted to get back on a harley and took responsible steps to get it done. safety course is a great idea, i did one too. found some bad habits and learned some new stuff.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 PM
onadraw
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by newRider2010
I'm a typical 47 year old dude whose been repressing his dream of owning a Harley for 30 years.

Finally got the money together, took Rider's Edge course, rented multiple bikes and am considering pulling trigger on just the right model for me.

What is stopping me is while I'm totally comfortable with the risk and have read all the stats and have some military combat experience in distant past so that it is not just academic when I consider risk. But what's stopping me is if my teenage sons were to take up biking later in life and die or get seriously injured, I would consider that my fault for introducing that into their lives by example.

I realize this is probably a very douche like posting, but anyone else ever grapple with this??? I may end up waiting till they're off in college or renting a storage unit or something, but that would be flat out crazy.

Thanks.
I'm in nearly the same situation as you (4 yr old son) so i'll offer my perspective for what its worth.

If you're 47 and haven't been a motorcyclist yet then maybe you don't need to start now. Maybe you do.

I'm 41 and have been riding since I was 8. When my son was born, I seriously considered not riding anymore for the same reason that you asked your question. I am also afraid of the choices my son might make in the future as a result of seeing me ride a motorcycle as he grows up. You are right, motorcycles are dangerous and can lead to bad things if the wrong things happen.

But heres the deal. I quit smoking because I don't want my son to smoke. I won't get drunk around my son either. I don't resent these life restrictions because deep down I know these things are bad for me anyway.

But If I give up riding, which I've been doing for over 30 years, I know that I will end up resenting my son for this decision and I don't want that.

In the end, I will be as safe as I can and when the time comes I will teach him how to be as safe as possible. You know, I think teaching your kids what the right choices are is all you can do. In the end, they will have to make those choices and live with whatever results those choices bring.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:52 PM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum

My kids, 10 and 12 years old, both ride on my husband's bike. They love it and there's a good chance they'll want to learn to ride their own someday. Yeah, that's scary, but they also ride my sister's horses. That scares me more, because horses have a mind of their own.

We can teach them about safety and we can protect them as much as we can, but we can't wrap them in bubble wrap and prop them in a corner and not let them experience life, either.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:59 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a daughter who rides and I am going to leave her the bike i own when I hit that endless black ribbon on that highway beyond the cloud. I would buy her any one she would ask for tomorrow but she buys he own now and says mine is the one she wants when I am finished with it.

Quick Reply: Crazy new rider father/son question