General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

safest place on the road to ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:39 PM
davescreation
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default safest place on the road to ride

just courious what has been deemed the safest lane and where do yall feel more cofortable at on the road

Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Depends on the road, traffic, weather and attitude.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:49 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,941 Likes on 1,925 Posts

A place where you can see far ahead to figure out your path. Can't stand riding behind big trucks and suv's you cannot see around. As stated above it all depends.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:51 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,941 Likes on 1,925 Posts

A place where you can see far ahead to figure out your path. Cna't stand riding behind big trucks and suv's you cannot see around.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:53 PM
JnT4Life
Tourer

Normally just left of center but as stated, it depends on conditions and traffic.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:58 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The safest place is in an 18 wheeler. on a bike like all other have said depends on a lot of thing. but where you are visiable and can see. If they can't see you they can't avoid you

Old 12-18-2009, 04:04 PM
lucky chuckie
Tourer

I'm taking the middle of the road in most conditions. Who's that fool in the middle of the road? Yep they see me, high-beams and a toot on the horn. Some people are visual learners, and some are audible, and some just don't pay attention. I try to get all of their attentions.

Last edited by lucky chuckie; 12-18-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:11 PM
mtowner
Tourer

Originally Posted by JnT4Life
Normally just left of center but as stated, it depends on conditions and traffic.
Left of Center??? On a two lane road you would be in the other lane!!! Not a good place to be....

Old 12-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Hway61
Novice

This is from a Safety Tip summary that a few of us compiled for another Forum:

If you are interested in the rest I would happy to copy it here:

• Lane Positioning is a critical safety skill (habits vary):
a.Control your lane; slide left or right depending on visibility, turning vehicles and road conditions. Have an escape route. Move to avoid obstacles, to be more visible, to improve view, to handle curves. On group rides, each biker owns the width of their lane (12 feet).
b.Generally, the left third of the lane is the best position: best view of all lanes, greatest visibility to others, most maneuverability, and least contact with road debris.
c.HOV/Highway-left lanes: right third of lane offers highest visibility to other drivers.
d.Multi-lane highway: right third of “hammer”/passing lane offers highest visibility to others.
e.Best protection from left-turning vehicles: left third of lane, close gap with vehicle in front.
f.Best protection at intersections: no rabbit starts; cross with other vehicle(s) to side of risk.
g.To avoid blind spot of adjacent driver: stay behind/in-front of line of rear/front bumper.
h.Use every chance to follow another vehicle; use 2-second rule, 4 over 50 mph. Avoid gaps.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I ride in the sameplace of the road asi would be if sitting in my truck, close to the center line..i feel this puts me and my bike right in the veiw of the driver behind me and gives me plenty of room to move over if crowded..

Check this out, and people really PI$$ me off, I was in the passing lane, passing a tractor trailer, i see this big ol Caddilac zooming up on my back side, now im already doing 75mph 5 over the limit..this guy was doing close to 90, this dumbA$$ trys to pass me, while im passing an 18 wheeler, i mean he is on the shoulder crowding me between the truck and him. he didnt make it, but he tried like all get out, he actually had gotten far enough i was looking at his passenger front tire.
Tell me what are these people really thinking, I dont get it.

Last edited by Jeff W; 12-18-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: safest place on the road to ride