General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hints and tips on finding a basket case?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:57 PM
dmftoy1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hints and tips on finding a basket case?

Ok, so it's winter here and there's snow on the roads and I'm missing my riding . . . ..a "project bike" would be ideal for this time of year, ideally one where i could spend alot of sweat equity and not much $.

SOOO . here's my question . . .let's say a guy wanted to someday have a bagger . .something like an Electra Glide . . .where would he look for one that needed ALOT of TLC that he could work on over the next year or so adding parts as the paychecks allowed. I've been watching the local craigslist and some of the trading papers but I never seem to see any bikes that guys don't want 7-8-9 grand for. For example I found a 1971 Lowrider "Shovelhead" today that the guy wants 7200 for . .looks to be in nice shape, but doesn't really fit the idea of a fixer-upper.

Just curious if anyone else has that kind of itch and how they go about scratching i?

Have a good one,
Dave

Old 12-30-2009, 06:02 PM
legacycycles
Oops

Basket cases dont exsist anymore,as for fixer uppers youre best bet is salvage bikes.Couple different place online..salvage direct is one,also check out ebay.Unlike the us dollar,H-D usally retain value.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 PM
judge jb
Intermediate

my last basket, and i mean basket case , came from the Memphis police dept. at a city auction. i bought it cheap, sold it cheap, after two years of riddin. i would do it again if had the time...

Old 12-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on salvage bikes. Here's a couple snaps of mine. Mine came with a clear title. Just a shade over 22K miles when I bought it. A little over 3K in parts and paint. I think I made a good choice. Looking into another project like it for the wife. Look on ebay and other sites. Do your homework, call and ask lots of questions and ask for more pics. A good seller/dealer will be glad to help ya out. Can you travel if required? I traveled 11 hours one way and an overnight to get mine. I learned alot about how things work while working on it. Find mechanics who will help you if and when needed. Locate a good shop. All these things and more will be needed. All in all it is a good way to get what you want at a reasonable cost. Just food for thought.

Attached Thumbnails Hints and tips on finding a basket case?-100_1182.jpg   Hints and tips on finding a basket case?-100_1181.jpg  
Old 12-30-2009, 07:20 PM
fairplay
Road Master

baskets like you are looking for are a thing of the past with the popularity of all the bike shows. Just like building a hot rod, find a bike that id almost complete. A true basket, in pieces will kill you in the long run with nickel and dime crap. Best bet is to find something assembled but run down and tear it down like this one...

Attached Thumbnails Hints and tips on finding a basket case?-1224091104.jpg   Hints and tips on finding a basket case?-1229092158.jpg  
Old 12-30-2009, 08:14 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

If I was gunna do 1 , it would be an Old Sporty and build a Rigged with it.
Or buy that Shovel and build a Rigged a Real Bike ..

Old 12-30-2009, 08:23 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen lots of salvaged Harley bikes that need rebuilding. Like WreckedBikes.Com

Last edited by shortride; 12-30-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:34 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep one eye on http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3
They often have baskets, rolling chassis, & the parts you'll need.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:01 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

www.crashedtoys.com, salvage auction site, they have just about anything on wheels or water.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:52 PM
brockster
6th Gear

Just make sure that the bike you buy and build will not have to be titled as "self-assembled". Your insurance will be higher if that is the case.

Quick Reply: Hints and tips on finding a basket case?