General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter replacement every 25k miles??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:01 PM
dmftoy1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter replacement every 25k miles??

I was just reading an article in AIM and the guy said that you should be replacing your lifters every 25k miles. I'm wondering if he's just talking about older models with solid lifters or ?? I've check the factory service manual for my Dyna an I don't see that anywhere as regularly scheduled maint. Is this guy just smoking something or ??

Old 01-03-2010, 04:03 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Smokin' something... I don't see anything on it for my '08 FXSTC.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:05 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I'd run them until they get noisy. That will likely be a lot more than 25k. If you are doing an engine build, then maybe slap in a new set for a fresh start. I mean realistically, wtf good are they if they only go 25k?
Ron

Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 PM
dmftoy1
Tourer

Well it makes no sense to me that hydraulic lifters would only last 25k . .I mean it's not like this is new technology and they last a lot longer than that in my cars. You can't even argue the oil issue because modern harley's have oil filters, etc.

I'll have to read the article again . .but I'm pretty sure that there was no qualification in it of "what kind" of lifters.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:10 PM
chipdavey
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my lifters on '93 softail, with 58000+ miles, and was told by indie shop owner that it would be a good idea to do so. He told me that failure could be catastrophic to lower end. I examined the old ones, and they looked fine, not loose, or binding. Hope this helps

Old 01-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dmftoy1
Well it makes no sense to me that hydraulic lifters would only last 25k . .I mean it's not like this is new technology and they last a lot longer than that in my cars. You can't even argue the oil issue because modern harley's have oil filters, etc.

I'll have to read the article again . .but I'm pretty sure that there was no qualification in it of "what kind" of lifters.
If you are doing a build with that many miles on it, I wouldn't hesitate to change them. (not expensive). They do fail sometimes.

But I surely wouldn't tear a bike apart to do it just because they may fail.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,024 Posts

The Dude had stock in the lifter company maybe?

Old 01-03-2010, 04:17 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Twin Cam lifters are exact copies of small block Chevy lifters. They run in the average SBC for waaay over 100k miles with no problems.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:20 PM
PonchoDoc
6th Gear

The reason their recommended is because the evo had replaceable lifter blocks where the twin cam does not. Based on this if it does self destruct it will take out the lower end as lifter blocks cannot be replacedin the twin cam, leave em in, its no biggie. But do replace em whenever you replacing your cams.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Twin Cam lifters are exact copies of small block Chevy lifters. They run in the average SBC for waaay over 100k miles with no problems.
Now alls we have to do is compare spring tensions on Harley heads vs Chevy heads. Many people beef up the springs in the HD heads, all though this time around I have the stockers. Not sure how they compare to chevys. But I have indeed read about enough HD lifter failures that I would pay the low price for replacements (if my motor was apart for a build or cam change).

Quick Reply: Lifter replacement every 25k miles??