General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duck Walking

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:07 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I had to duck walk some during basic training, so therefore have tried to avoid it ever since. Still, none of my business what works for somebody else.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
...And when you come to a stop, the right foot stays up on the rear brake, and the left foot comes down to hold you up...
I never quite understood that one, as the road conditions may indicate putting the right foot down as a better option (i.e. uneven road surface, debris, etc.).

I have always completed my stop with my front brake, putting my right foot down. If I will be at the light a while, once there are a couple cars behind me, I shift into neutral (my left foot is still on the peg), then put my left foot down as well.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Whom do you prefer?
Daffy. He's got the attitude. Donald is a pillow biter.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I love the way Chuck Berry did it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3rG73VOqyo

chuck the mensh

Old 01-08-2010, 08:25 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa???????"

Old 01-08-2010, 09:06 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

...And when you come to a stop, the right foot stays up on the rear brake, and the left foot comes down to hold you up...
Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I never quite understood that one, as the road conditions may indicate putting the right foot down as a better option (i.e. uneven road surface, debris, etc.).

I have always completed my stop with my front brake, putting my right foot down. If I will be at the light a while, once there are a couple cars behind me, I shift into neutral (my left foot is still on the peg), then put my left foot down as well.

I was taught to keep the left foot on the peg and only put the right foot
down just before the bike comes to a complete stop...I sure that's the way it was in the 1979 licensing hand book...it was one of the things they checked for on your road test...was told that way you were at the ready for all controls...I still ride this way...only the right foot down

Old 01-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not so much a hard and fast rule, but a a general rule of thumb. I understand that there are times when you HAVE to have both feet down. Different or low traction surfaces for instance. Of course shifting to neutral requires a changing of feet.

However when a rider drops both feet while slowing and stopping, they are giving up the rear brake. That means the only way they have to stop is the front brake. If they grab a handful of that front brake and over use it, all the weight of the bike comes shifting forward. That's not a problem as long as the ground is clean, level, flat, the bike is upright and the handlebars are straight. If those factors are not present, then they risk toppling over. All it takes is for the bars to be turned or the bike to be leaned over while grabbing that front brake, and the bike may go down. It's the same principle as applying the front brake with the bike in a tight turn. Am I saying don't use the front brake ever? No I am not. The front brake is a powerful tool and is exactly what you want to haul yourself down at speed. Just make sure the bars are straight and the bike is upright. You can actually ride with the bars fully locked and stop the bike using the rear brake. Can't do that with the front brake.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:51 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I've "Duck" walk my Harley in tight bumper to bumper traffic and have been even known to "Penguin" waddle on a Gold Wing under those same circumstances. If it keeps the shiney side up am all for it.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:03 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Midnite, IF you ran with ONLY a rear brake, IT'D make A LOT o' sense.

When Easyriders was in Mpls, I test rode a Sucker Punch Sally 113" Knuckle Bobber. Suicide (cable) foot clutch, jockey shift, with ONE rear disc brake, THINK 'bout it for a second. Talk 'bout "busier than a one armed wallpaper hanger smokin' a cigarette" !!!!!!!! TRY stopping on a rather healthy incline, on THAT critter.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:31 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Midnite, IF you ran with ONLY a rear brake, IT'D make A LOT o' sense.
As soon as I saw it was you replying, I knew where it was going.

When Easyriders was in Mpls, I test rode a Sucker Punch Sally 113" Knuckle Bobber. Suicide (cable) foot clutch, jockey shift, with ONE rear disc brake, THINK 'bout it for a second. Talk 'bout "busier than a one armed wallpaper hanger smokin' a cigarette" !!!!!!!! TRY stopping on a rather healthy incline, on THAT critter.
Easy. Leave both feet on the pegs and put your left arm down to hold you up.
That's why a lot of those bikes had apes. You had to have really long arms to ride it.

Quick Reply: Duck Walking