General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Women only, boys can watch

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:22 PM
scooter883
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Women only, boys can watch

ORIGINAL: Gesner

Glad you are on the mend! I haven't been able to ride the last two weekends, and can't wait for the ride tomorrow. After-work rides aren't long enough for me to get to the mountains which is what really trips my trigger.

I've been riding for 2 years. I was behind my now ex-husband when he wrecked -- again [>:]-- and I had enough of that crap and got my license. I took the course and I started on a Yamaha 1100 V-Star. Everyone kept talking about what a big bike it was but it sat so low and was designed for um, height-challenged riders. It was a great learner and confidence builder. After we divorced this spring I had some cash and I got an '05 Heritage. Just awesome.[sm=coolness.gif] I thought I rode a lot before, but with the softtail I am on it every time that I can be.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Unfortunately I have let it tip over 4 times this summer[sm=smiley19.gif], just while parking, but still that bothers me. I only dropped the V-Star once, in the first week that I had it. I'm glad that I bought a used bike! I have SE pipes with heat shields and I have the replacement heat shields -- the ones on the bike were already damaged, so the scratches that I put on them are not big deal. We'll see how things go. I am hitting the weight room and maybe it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

As for LOH & other women riders, I belong to LOH (no big deal one way or the other, like someone said it's about marketing), and to a local HOG chapter. I'm meeting lots of kewl people there. Some local chapters are better than others. If you have a choice, check them all out before deciding where to hang your hat. I also meet a lot of women riders in my 12-step program -- a LOT of women riders there.

Hey just wanted to say I also dropped my softail the first weekend out with my hubby on a long ride. Stopped at a gas pump and thought I had already put the kickstand down. Was sooo mad at myself. I was feeling so good about the ride because from the 883 sporty this was a big step up and i was scared at first. Well my husband says better to drop it at low speeds then high and also there are those that have gone down and those that will. So I already did. (It wasn't the first time and I'm sure not going to be the last) My husband bought me engine guards for the softail that also have highway pegs beleive this will help at least in the pick up stage. So don't beat yourself up, we've all done it.

Old 07-22-2006, 06:27 PM
pro1955
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Women only, boys can watch

Hello ladies, I started out on a 2001 Sportster, too high for me, fell over twice slow speed stuff. Husband sold it and bought me a Honda 750 Shadow, lower, more comfortable, not as powerful, husband says spend some time on it and back to the Harley. I just love to ride, my husband and I ride alot. It's great to see more women on the road.