General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So is it a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:49 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't give a rat's butt who made the frame, or where the motor came from, IF I can get HD paperwork on it, it's an HD.

REGISTRATION

INSURANCE

Everyone's "opinion" doesn't pull $$ outta 'me' wallet.

That's why a bare, bent frame WITH paper, is $$$$$$$$$$.

Like it or not, when the "One 'custom' scoot in a lifetime" was up for debate, the MoCo was siding with the "Do Gooderz"(EPA and Insurance Cos.). It's called eliminating the competition. I refer to it as eliminating options and choices.
JMFUO, as 'ooze-ual'.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:52 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Of course it is,anybody calling it otherwize is blowing Hot Air.Some people just don't get it.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:03 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It is a tricky question to answer really. Way back in the early days of motorcycles, in England, there were a few different motorcycle manufacturers that all used the same J. A. P. engine but put them into their own manufactured frames and each motorcycle was named after the manufacturer and not the motor. In later years, during the Café Racer scene in England, you could find motorcycles that were called by a combination of the name of the manufactured engine and the name of the manufactured frame as in a Triton (a Triumph engine and a Norton frame) or a Vinton (a Vincent engine and a Norton frame) and so on. I do not know what these motorcycles were officially registered as either. I have also seen record setting motorcycles that use an engine that looks just like a Harley Big Twin engine (as in S & S and Revtech) and you just know that there isn’t a single part in that motor that came from Harley and they are still called a Harley. I know all about the Official Harley definition and their Lawyers and such, and Da Gumpmeister really has made a very compelling and valid argument too when it comes right down to a motorcycle being Officially recognized by a government agency and an insurance company and anything other than that is just someone’s opinion. I am not even going to touch the car thing because I have seen Jeeps with Chevy engines in them and Jeeps with Ford engines in them. Who knows what to call those kinds of vehicles? Generally speaking now, not officially anything, just for me, I go by the engine manufacturer. If I see a Triumph engine in a Paughco rigid frame, I would just call it a Triumph chopper. Not a Trighco or a Paumph, as that just sounds kind of stupid. If I see a Triumph engine in a Harley frame, I would still just call it a Triumph chopper. I don’t know what you would have to officially register it as. A Harley engine in a Paughco frame, to me, is a Harley chopper, but that’s just me.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:18 AM
johndawelder
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the paper work says its a HD then thats what it is.If it don't then its something else.JMO