General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 year warranty on aftermarket parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:34 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2 year warranty on aftermarket parts?

I just got back from my dealer where I signed my title and warranty paperwork for my new Road King. The manager told me that I have 90 days from purchase to buy any aftermarket Harley parts and have the 2 year HD warranty extend to them.

My question is do you guys think it's worth buying HD Screaming Eagle pipes, air intake, etc., and have it covered or would you recommend buying from a different manufacturer to get better bang for the buck, etc.?

Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealer only gave me the 2 year warranty on HD parts if they installed them. If I did it, it was only 90 days. Do you mean HD or aftermarket?

As far as pipes and AC goes, it really depends on what you want. I see no advantage to buy those items from HD just to get a warranty. I'm not sure if they warranty the pipes from turning colors or not. Almost all pipe manufacturers will not cover pipes from discoloring. That might be an advantage if they do. JMHO

Last edited by krazy3; 01-22-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by krazy3
My dealer only gave me the 2 year warranty on HD parts if they installed them. If I did it, it was only 90 days. Do you mean HD or aftermarket?
Yup, HD parts that are dealer installed within 90 days of purchase get the two year warranty. That's what I was referring to. I guess my reasoning is that if I get SE pipes, air intake, etc., I'll have the peace of mind knowing that if anything goes wrong it's still covered under warranty whereas if I buy a different brand then it might void the warranty. Not sure if that's the case so am looking for input.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:04 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by XKnight
I just got back from my dealer where I signed my title and warranty paperwork for my new Road King. The manager told me that I have 90 days from purchase to buy any aftermarket Harley parts and have the 2 year HD warranty extend to them.

My question is do you guys think it's worth buying HD Screaming Eagle pipes, air intake, etc., and have it covered or would you recommend buying from a different manufacturer to get better bang for the buck, etc.?
SE pipes,,,,, suck..........A/C, OK,,,,,,,,see if dealer offfers 15-20% off,,

thats when I and MY son did ours......

Old 01-22-2010, 11:38 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got that plus...

10% off all parts and labor. because I went with the 103" upgrade including cams etc. I was OK with the warranty advantage with that. I would think that the pipes and ac would be of less concern by themselves. I am confident you can get better "numbers" by going off brand and many of those items are well designed I am very satisfiesd with my HD parts. If I had only gone with AC and exhaust I would have bought off brand.